Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hi, I've just completed my first year of medicine and will be soon entering my second. I tried incredibly hard (more so than at any other point in my life) to make friends on my course. I would sit and talk to strangers in lectures and all of my classmates in hopes of making a friend but it was futile. I struggled with anxiety and depression during my first semester which didn't help, but I still tried the best I could. Many people suggest joining societies but none of the societies interest me at my university and the sports ones are really not my thing.

My friendship group at university was exclusively within my flat and I will be living with a group of first year flatmates for the next 2 years. My worries are that when they graduate I'll be left entering 4th year without any friends which is a thought that's starting to bug me. It feels as though everyone on the course has formed friendship groups and cliques and I'm on the sidelines. I would appreciate any advice on what I could do to make friends on my course.

TLDR; medic who hasn't made any course friends panicking about being alone when non-medic friends graduate and leave.
Stuntman_82
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I've just completed my first year of medicine and will be soon entering my second. I tried incredibly hard (more so than at any other point in my life) to make friends on my course. I would sit and talk to strangers in lectures and all of my classmates in hopes of making a friend but it was futile. I struggled with anxiety and depression during my first semester which didn't help, but I still tried the best I could. Many people suggest joining societies but none of the societies interest me at my university and the sports ones are really not my thing.

My friendship group at university was exclusively within my flat and I will be living with a group of first year flatmates for the next 2 years. My worries are that when they graduate I'll be left entering 4th year without any friends which is a thought that's starting to bug me. It feels as though everyone on the course has formed friendship groups and cliques and I'm on the sidelines. I would appreciate any advice on what I could do to make friends on my course.

TLDR; medic who hasn't made any course friends panicking about being alone when non-medic friends graduate and leave.
I and my current medic flatmate were in the same situation. Both of us tried hard to make friends on the course. I was similar to you in the sense societies did not really appeal to me and I ended up living with random people in second year as my first year flatmates split and two moved to another uni.

My advise is just keep trying and speak to medics in years above and the years below. Eventually, when I was in 3rd year (currently intercalating 5th year) I made a whole bunch of friends from my year (300 people) that I had never spoken to before and some friends from the year above. During the 2 years I just studied, worked and if I had time took up new hobbies.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Maybe you come over as trying to hard to make friends? Work on learning to interact with others, because from what you've said you'll end up on the same situation on future, after graduation when you start working.

Keep talking to people, but make it relatable. Work on expanding your social circle. If you can't find a society that interests you, start a new one? And don't limit your activities to campus. See what you can find online or in the local area in the way of hobbies or volunteering.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Maybe you come over as trying to hard to make friends? Work on learning to interact with others, because from what you've said you'll end up on the same situation on future, after graduation when you start working.

Keep talking to people, but make it relatable. Work on expanding your social circle. If you can't find a society that interests you, start a new one? And don't limit your activities to campus. See what you can find online or in the local area in the way of hobbies or volunteering.
My version of trying hard is really the same as a normal person's approach, I'm naturally somewhat introverted so it just takes a lot of effort for me as I'm not normally one to start conversations with strangers etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (63)
19.27%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (70)
21.41%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (61)
18.65%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (69)
21.1%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (32)
9.79%
I haven't started researching yet (32)
9.79%

Watched Threads