Why do People say ‘women and children’?

Watch
YourClassLiberal
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
For example, some politicians after attacks/incidents say ‘people were killed, women...children’. Why say that? Why not just stop at people? Is that meant to make us connect more to the event?

Just one example, but you guys will have heard it before
Last edited by YourClassLiberal; 4 days ago
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
because women and children were traditionally seen as more vulnerable and so it is meant to provoke more outrage
Luna316
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
If you think about it, saying just women and children instead of all people is another way of marking women as fragile and weaker, yet another form of sexism.
So it’s not all bad
Laurence010401
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
That’s what they said in titanic. Would have thought society had moved on over the last 108 years....
YourClassLiberal
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Luna316)
If you think about it, saying just women and children instead of all people is another way of marking women as fragile and weaker, yet another form of sexism.
So it’s not all bad
Surely it’s more sexism towards men because they are basically being told that their lives don’t mean as much as women’s
Last edited by YourClassLiberal; 4 days ago
certirinc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I don't really think people say it anymore
Laurence010401
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by certirinc)
I don't really think people say it anymore
Nice to know that society has moved on since the sinking of titanic..
Luna316
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by YourClassLiberal)
Surely it’s more sexism towards men because they are basically being told that their lives don’t mean as much as women’s
I suppose it could be, but another way of looking at it is that society has this association with women and being desirable and fragile and men as strong and “heroic”.
It’s definitely offensive to everyone, and everyone should be equally covered really.
By saying women and children, it maintains the stereotypes of both women and men. So yeah it is quite counterproductive
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (63)
19.27%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (70)
21.41%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (61)
18.65%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (69)
21.1%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (32)
9.79%
I haven't started researching yet (32)
9.79%

Watched Threads