Palestine annexation

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Aloveraa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
The UN deemed the annexation of Palestine illegal but isreal is still going ahead with it and they're not stopping it???
Last edited by Aloveraa; 1 week ago
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They can write letters telling people how disappointed they are, that is about it.
Aloveraa
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
They can write letters telling people how disappointed they are, that is about it.
Sound pretty useless to me.
So will isreal not having any negative consequences for their actions?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Aloveraa)
The UN as an independent-ish body is a toothless puppy when it comes to what they can actually do as an organisation.

Most likely not. The other nations that form the UN can sanction countries but that requires a vote and I believe the US can veto votes so it would be pointless.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They deemed the annexation of Palestine illegal but isreal is still going ahead with it and they're not stopping it???
They continually apply political pressure then undermine themselves.

For example, having a human rights commission to investigate human rights abuses, but have it Chaired by a representative from Saudi Arabia.

& have a hunan rights commission investing the US police, but not investigate N,Korea, Chinese camps or imported workers in Qatar.

They are for the most part a waste of money, in the name of international diplomacy.
Aloveraa
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
They continually apply political pressure then undermine themselves.

For example, having a human rights commission to investigate human rights abuses, but have it Chaired by a representative from Saudi Arabia.

& have a hunan rights commission investing the US police, but not investigate N,Korea, Chinese camps or imported workers in Qatar.

They are for the most part a waste of money, in the name of international diplomacy.
So no organisation really has the power to stop isreal as America is on their side. Pretty sad tbh.
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Blm
"hold my beer"
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So no organisation really has the power to stop isreal as America is on their side. Pretty sad tbh.
Lots of countries technically have the power to intervene but it isn't worth starting a war over.
Aloveraa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Just my opinion)
Blm
"hold my beer"
??
Aloveraa
Rep:
?
Lots of countries technically have the power to intervene but it isn't worth starting a war over.
I'm sure China was against the annexation?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm sure China was against the annexation?
China hasn't really got a leg to stand on, they didn't listen to the UN when they built on military base on islands they don't even own.
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
??
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-message.html
Aloveraa
Rep:
?
All they did was speak against the annexation of Palestine. The people who are mad about it are just weird. Blm has always been against systematic oppression. I don't get why anyone would be against their message or stop supporting the blm movement because of it.
Aloveraa
Rep:
?
China hasn't really got a leg to stand on, they didn't listen to the UN when they built on military base on islands they don't even own.
Wow.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nope. Well nothing worse than some strongly worded reproachments to their ambassadors.
No one, unfortunately, cares about Palestine any more.. other than paying it lip service. Not to mention the facts;
a) The UN has no mandate to intervene without a vote (Israels colony that is America would veto that)
b) Israel is more than happy to slaughter UN forces (as it has done countless times)
c) It has nukes /discussion right there to be honest :lol:

This is a classic example of 'might is right'. On the flip side at least it serves to reinforce the fact that Israel is not but a proto-fascist, hypernationalist, expansionist state.

.. who knows, maybe if the Palestinians stopped their infighting they could pull of what the Party of God did and boot Israel out of the land it stole. Alas, i don't have high hopes.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
All they did was speak against the annexation of Palestine. The people who are mad about it are just weird. Blm has always been against systematic oppression. I don't get why anyone would be against their message or stop supporting the blm movement because of it.
The blm lot seem to have done a nice job of polarising many topics, not least sticking their fingers into this one.
It's quaint how deep hypocrisy runs in the international circuits :lol: On the other hand, i would posit, theres a distinct difference between pilfering an empty coral atol (for the most part) and forcibly ejecting people from their land and then stealing it.
Jess9700
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
All this "Listen to the UN" is a load of rubbish at the end of it who is the UN just a bunch of corrupt world leaders dictating the world for their own benefit.

Rich powerful countries do what they want and rob poorer weaker countries its that simple.

All this UN sanctions and blah blah blah is just another way that they can do it.

The only international law that matters is the ones that can be enforced. The UN is basically do what the USA and NATO say or face economic sanctions.
There is only so much "economic sanctions" can bully a country. For example Pakistan and india were both told not to get nukes (By the USA which had nukes) Both of them thought fk the UN and got nukes anyway.
Aloveraa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
The blm lot seem to have done a nice job of polarising many topics, not least sticking their fingers into this one.
I don't think they said anything wrong they just showed their support for Palestine and tried to raise awareness. What I didn't get was people saying they shouldn't have supported blm because they supported Palestinians. How can you said you don't believe black lives matter anymore just because they spoke out against oppression? Seems very hypocritical to me.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't think they said anything wrong they just showed their support for Palestine and tried to raise awareness. What I didn't get was people saying they shouldn't have supported blm because they supported Palestinians. How can you said you don't believe black lives matter anymore just because they spoke out against oppression? Seems very hypocritical to me.
Indeed they didn't but, for some, blm is somewhat divisive, as is palestine for that matter, so one supporting the other so openly can ruffle feathers. Similar effect to, say, Corbyn/Trump etc. putting their backing to something.
I imagine some feel they're overstepping their bounds, as it were. after all, the so called 'black lives matter' group is rather a single issue group.
That isnt to agree or disagree with anyones view on it but then again I imagine the many Palestinians would give a rather hollow laugh if the blm people in America or the UK tried to compare themselves to what they go through :lol:
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jess9700)
All this "Listen to the UN" is a load of rubbish at the end of it who is the UN just a bunch of corrupt world leaders dictating the world for their own benefit.

Rich powerful countries do what they want and rob poorer weaker countries its that simple.

All this UN sanctions and blah blah blah is just another way that they can do it.

The only international law that matters is the ones that can be enforced. The UN is basically do what the USA and NATO say or face economic sanctions.
There is only so much "economic sanctions" can bully a country. For example Pakistan and india were both told not to get nukes (By the USA which had nukes) Both of them thought fk the UN and got nukes anyway.
You do know most countries ignore such diktats on principle? Especially when Russia and China weild their vetoes.
Equally, not sure thats a particularly good example given the inherent disconnect between behaviour modification and essential national security considerations.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (33)
8.11%
Confident (54)
13.27%
Indifferent (58)
14.25%
Unsure (104)
25.55%
Worried (158)
38.82%

Watched Threads