If I do performing arts at college, can I do law, buisness or psychology at uni

Watch
gcseyr11
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Im planning to do a L3 extended diploma in performing arts at college, would some universities accept me for law, business or psychology since most of them don't really have specific subjects you need to take subjects. Im obviously not expecting to go into the top universities
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Usually law courses will expect you to be doing traditionally academic subjects which are primarily assessed by final unseen written examination, as that is the common mode for assessment on those degrees. Qualifications that aren't structured in that way then don't really give the admissions tutors (or yourself!) a good idea whether you would be able to cope with such a course. This may apply to business as well.

For psychology, I would note many courses prefer (and some specifically require) some scientific background in having taken A-level Maths/Biology/Psychology/Chemistry/Physics beforehand. You may also struggle with the course content without a background in at least one of these subjects, an again a psychology degree will be a traditionally academic qualification which will be mostly assessed by exams at the end of the year/term in your modules.

Essentially, it is inadvisable simply because that course will not provide you with the transferable skills necessary to do well on such degree programmes, whether or not it is acceptable for entry to such a programme in the first place. If you want to go into one of those areas I would strongly recommend you take at least two traditionally academic A-level subjects (although taking a vocational, technical, or creative subject alongside those should be fine for all but the most competitive universities offering those courses). It's more of a question about what would give you the best grounding to do well in those degrees, than whether it is minimally acceptable or not.
Tash8790
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gcseyr11)
Im planning to do a L3 extended diploma in performing arts at college, would some universities accept me for law, business or psychology since most of them don't really have specific subjects you need to take subjects. Im obviously not expecting to go into the top universities
I doubt it you ideally would need to take a levels or if you wanna do psychology you should take health and social or applied science or if you wanna do business you need to take something relevant
Melirose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gcseyr11)
Hi, you're right that they don't ask for specific subjects but when the entry requirements say that, they generally mean no specific subjects at A-level but if you do a BTEC then they will only accept certain qualifications. For business and law courses, BTEC L3 Business is generally accepted, although do make sure you check the entry requirements if there are any specific universities you are thinking of going to. Health and social care, childcare and science BTECs are good subjects to do for psychology but again, do check the entry requirements because they vary.

If you're not sure what you want to do, it would be a good idea for you to do A-levels or BTEC business. A-levels, if you pick the right subjects (which there generally aren't any required for the courses you're thinking of doing), are great for keeping your options open. BTEC business would allow you to do something either business-related like management, marketing, maybe accounting/finance or law but it isn't generally accepted for any other course. I think that based on what you've said, an extended diploma in performing arts is probably not for you because unless you really want to go into drama, you might struggle to get into university to do a subject you actually want to do. If you're just thinking of these other subjects of a back-up plan in case you can't go into performing arts, maybe your college offers a diploma worth 1 A-level (which usually won't affect entry requirements no matter what the subject) or a related A-level such as drama or even something like media or film studies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (22)
8.4%
Confident (31)
11.83%
Indifferent (46)
17.56%
Unsure (69)
26.34%
Worried (94)
35.88%

Watched Threads