Should I Act On My Obsessive Thoughts?

Watch
JDINCINERATOR
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have had intrusive impulsive thoughts over the past number of years that I find difficult to cope with at times and am wondering whether I should act on them. Just a bit of context first, I'm a 27 year-old man with hydrocephalus and I think that certain behaviours as a result of this medical condition have caused damaging personal and social problems.

This particular problem I've been having involves thoughts of reconnecting with old acquaintances I used to get along with. For instance I did have an interest in talking to my year 6 teacher again as well as a good friend of mine who I haven't spoken to since secondary school. These obsessive infatuations have come and gone after waiting but every now and then another one pops up-such as a peculiar one I'm having at the moment concerning something I read in the news almost a year ago that has nothing to do with me, but I feel I should send my condolences as an act of kindness and support. I know I should just let these thoughts go in time, but part of me wants to act on them to see what happens-because my intentions are genuine and gracious although the thoughts themselves are strange and make me feel like if they were acted upon they won't be received as intended.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Contact your GP and see about getting counselling.

You need intervention to try and control your impulses, to understand the possible consequences of acting on your thoughts, because it won't always be a good outcome, and to learn how to cope with negative reactions if you actually do something.

In the examples you have given, it will not be a good thing to act on your thoughts. The least damaging one (in terms of the other parties) is contacting your old teacher and friend, but what will it do to you if they don't respond or aren't interested? As for sending condolences for something tragic that happened a year ago, no matter your good intentions, all you are doing is opening up old wounds and upsetting those involved who are trying to move on.

Please get professional help.
JDINCINERATOR
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Contact your GP and see about getting counselling.

You need intervention to try and control your impulses, to understand the possible consequences of acting on your thoughts, because it won't always be a good outcome, and to learn how to cope with negative reactions if you actually do something.

In the examples you have given, it will not be a good thing to act on your thoughts. The least damaging one (in terms of the other parties) is contacting your old teacher and friend, but what will it do to you if they don't respond or aren't interested? As for sending condolences for something tragic that happened a year ago, no matter your good intentions, all you are doing is opening up old wounds and upsetting those involved who are trying to move on.

Please get professional help.
Thanks for giving me a trustworthy and commendable response. I agree I need some intervention to control impulses, but I find that the thoughts will come back around eventually.

I've acted on impulsive thoughts before with mixed results. I believe trying to reconnect with somebody from childhood is difficult because with the changing of times comes the changing of perspectives and attitudes. The sending of condolences I agree is quite a problematic stretch, but I think it depends on the context and how they feel about the behaviour-because not everybody will react with disapproval or suspicion.

I have gotten professional help before and am currently talking to iTalk about unwanted and/or problematic thoughts and feelings. I do think speaking to close friends will be a better form of therapy because expressing all the details will perhaps bring me more clarity.

Thanks again for your help.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by JDINCINERATOR)
Thanks for giving me a trustworthy and commendable response. I agree I need some intervention to control impulses, but I find that the thoughts will come back around eventually.

I've acted on impulsive thoughts before with mixed results. I believe trying to reconnect with somebody from childhood is difficult because with the changing of times comes the changing of perspectives and attitudes. The sending of condolences I agree is quite a problematic stretch, but I think it depends on the context and how they feel about the behaviour-because not everybody will react with disapproval or suspicion.

I have gotten professional help before and am currently talking to iTalk about unwanted and/or problematic thoughts and feelings. I do think speaking to close friends will be a better form of therapy because expressing all the details will perhaps bring me more clarity.

Thanks again for your help.
Do not use your friends for therapy. They are too close to you, and won't truly understand how obsessive thoughts work or the best way for you to deal with them. Stick to getting help from the professionals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (39)
8.19%
Confident (65)
13.66%
Indifferent (66)
13.87%
Unsure (118)
24.79%
Worried (188)
39.5%

Watched Threads