awkwardshortguy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
How can someone actually be born in the wrong body? Surely the body a person is born is the only one they could ever have been born in, thus there is no other body they were supposed to be born in, thus they could not have been born in 'the wrong body'. And also if there is such a thing as being born in the wrong body, why is the phrase never used in connection with people who have other reasons to be dissatisfied with their body than Gender Dysphoria, such as people born with Cystic Fibrosis or Muscular Dystrophy?
TheDregOfSociety
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm not that educated on the subject but from what I've gathered gender dysphoria is more about the battle between the mental image of self and the physical image of self. I think the phrase 'wrong body' is used specifically in this case since it describes their issue in a simplistic manner.

What I'm trying to say is that gender dysphoria is an issue that stems from the mind, whilst cystic fibrosis/muscular dystrophy stems from the body. People with physical illnesses, although insecurities and depression can arise from it, can come to accept their situation. Then again, I have heard those with physical illnesses use that phrase. I guess it 'the wrong body' less encapsulates their problems.

idk feel free to educate me. i'm clueless.
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You can’t be born in the “wrong body”.

Human beings are not made in a factory where a tired shift worker can accidentally put your brain in a different body from the one it was made for. It’s not like building an iPhone but accidentally installing Android OS onto it. Your brain is a part of your body, and it all develops together from a single cell.

“The wrong body” is just a very simplistic phrase to express extreme dissatisfaction with something about your body which would otherwise be considered perfectly normal (e.g. characteristics of sexual dimorphism), resulting in the feeling that the body is mismatched with the mind that it contains.

This is based on the assumption that in the event of such a “mismatch” it is the mind which is “correct”, and the body which is “incorrect”, as opposed to the other way round. People contest that they were “born that way”, as if the “gender of the mind” is predetermined innately. I personally don’t agree with this though. It is the mind which is malleable and subject to constant change from experiential influence, whereas the body is genetically predetermined to develop the way it does (in regards to sex characteristics).
excitedpresent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by awkwardshortguy)
How can someone actually be born in the wrong body? Surely the body a person is born is the only one they could ever have been born in, thus there is no other body they were supposed to be born in, thus they could not have been born in 'the wrong body'. And also if there is such a thing as being born in the wrong body, why is the phrase never used in connection with people who have other reasons to be dissatisfied with their body than Gender Dysphoria, such as people born with Cystic Fibrosis or Muscular Dystrophy?
A lot of people with disabillities use their disabillity and incorporate it into their identity.

People who are transgender on the other hand usually have a dichotomy between their identity and their actual body.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Well, I can't really get away from my body although I would like to (I'm disabled). I have accepted this is how it is, even if it is a significant contributor to my MH issues, and probably will always be. But I suppose it's different for people with gender dysphoria as there is a mismatch, as other people have already said.
astayuno
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It's down to perception. Some may feel that they're in the "wrong body" because of them having different interests, of course it's out of their control and that's the argument you would use if they are born a male/female but feel more attached to the characteristics of the other. The term is more for the user to express how it was wrong to be born with that specific body rather than taking into account the biological factors.

Of course my opinion drastically would differ from the above, as the child should be brought up to appreciate their body and accept their own self image before trying to alter/have doubts of being in the wrong body
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Well watch what you post in here I posted only facts and got a warning for hate 😳
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (76)
18.63%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (82)
20.1%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (78)
19.12%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (89)
21.81%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.05%
I haven't started researching yet (42)
10.29%

Watched Threads