The Student Room Group

Jury service

Hi has anyone done jury service ?
I have been called up to jury service in late August. It will last 2 weeks or longer ! I do not know right now but the letter said could be longer. It is in a crown court. My university is sending me an online course in September to all the students. I am starting in October.

Has anyone done jury service before ? What is it like ? How long does it last ? Is it worth doing ?

Thank you.
Yes. A lot of sitting about. You can ask to defer if you have a good reason, though be prepared for your request to be declined.

It's not a question of worth, but something we all could have to do. Better to have jury trials than those by a sole judge in my view, and part of a long standing tradition in this country.
Reply 2
Original post by barnetlad
Yes. A lot of sitting about. You can ask to defer if you have a good reason, though be prepared for your request to be declined.

It's not a question of worth, but something we all could have to do. Better to have jury trials than those by a sole judge in my view, and part of a long standing tradition in this country.

How long does it usually go on for ?
Original post by 161BMW
How long does it usually go on for ?

It is two weeks unless you are asked to sit and hear a case that will go on for longer. I was excused after the first week as there were no cases where I was required.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending