The Student Room Group

Direct Apointment Scheme Civil Service 2020/Offered an Irrelevant position

Hello everyone!

I got offered a position as a Work Coach for the DWP which is completely irrelavant to my academic background as I possess a masters degree in financial economics and working experience as an analyst.

How likely is to be offered a different role if I will not accept the current one?

Thanks!
Hello, I have been offered the exact same this morning from the DAS and have just finished an Economics degree!

I was wondering the exact same thing but I don’t think I’m going to accept it as it’s completely irrelevant to what I am interested in. Keep me updated on what you decide!
Reply 2
Original post by userpoppi
Hello, I have been offered the exact same this morning from the DAS and have just finished an Economics degree!

I was wondering the exact same thing but I don’t think I’m going to accept it as it’s completely irrelevant to what I am interested in. Keep me updated on what you decide!

Hey!

So, I contacted them and they told me due to COVID-19 they prioritizing departments with immediate need and if you reject it, then it is very unlikely to be offered a role again. So, what I am thinking is if I accept it, could be an easier way into Civil Service and let's say after six months apply for an economist orientated role? I don't really know what to do to be honest.
Original post by Eulogitos
Hey!

So, I contacted them and they told me due to COVID-19 they prioritizing departments with immediate need and if you reject it, then it is very unlikely to be offered a role again. So, what I am thinking is if I accept it, could be an easier way into Civil Service and let's say after six months apply for an economist orientated role? I don't really know what to do to be honest.

Yeah it seems we have been offered it due to the incoming demand and pressure on job centres due to COVID as opposed to best suiting our qualifications... I was thinking that it could be a good foot in the door but I also worry about spending time there instead of going after something I’d prefer! Very difficult decision.
Reply 4
Yeah it seems we have been offered it due to the incoming demand and pressure on job centres due to COVID as opposed to best suiting our qualifications... I was thinking that it could be a good foot in the door but I also worry about spending time there instead of going after something I’d prefer! Very difficult decision.

If you don't have previous work experience especially related to your degree I would suggest to go for something more related to you rather than that.
Hey,

I think I might be in a similar position; I received an email yesterday requesting that I fill out an EOI form, which also highlighted that DWP had an available position.

Was it the same for you both, or were you offered the work coach role after filling out your EOI? I'm not sure if this is a formal offer and whether I'd be in a position to reject it; I've asked for clarity, but figured I'd check on here whilst I wait.
Reply 6
I received the offer from DWP several days after the EOI form, in which they didn't mentioned anything about the DWP. It is very likely that you will be offered the work coach role. After a lot of thinking I decided to reject it as it is completely irrelevant to my background and career goals.
(edited 3 years ago)
I received the offer from DWP several days after the EOI form, in which they didn't mentioned anything about the DWP. It is very likely that you will be offered the work coach role. After a lot of thinking I decided to reject it as it is completely irrelevant to my background and career goals.

Hello, after a lot of thinking and reading about it I have also decided to reject it as it has no relation to my background and what my interests are!

Also, out of interest, what was your score in the assessment centre?
Reply 9
Also, out of interest, what was your score in the assessment centre?

I remember that the scale was from 1 to 5; however, people from here are saying it was from 1 to 10. So, passing mark was above 3, mine was around 3 I think. But to be honest I don't really remember.
Reply 10
HiJust wondering, but I have recently had a pre recorded video interview for a work coach position and was hoping you could tell me how long you had to wait to before you were notified if you were successful? Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by Ishy20
HiJust wondering, but I have recently had a pre recorded video interview for a work coach position and was hoping you could tell me how long you had to wait to before you were notified if you were successful? Thanks

Hey. I had the same interview too. Also waiting to hear back.
Original post by Ishy20

Ive also had the pre recorded interview and would be interested to know how long it takes to hear back ?
Original post by Peggypat
Ive also had the pre recorded interview and would be interested to know how long it takes to hear back ?

Hiya

Would you be willing to help with answering competencies. I have applied a lot!! and I use the STAR method but I wonder if I am too detailed or something. Could we chat about it, maybe you can have a look

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending