Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I've been trying to work out how to get started on my personal statement but I'm finding it hard as I want to apply for biological natural sciences and maths.
    I'd prefer nat sci so is it even worth applying for maths which will have the same or higher offers?
    How should I structure my statement if I do apply for both - should I concentrate on one or include both equally?
    If I did end up doing maths I'd like to take biology modules as well if possible. The universities I hope to apply to are Cambridge, Birmingham, Warwick, maybe Bath or UEA.
    Does anyone have any suggestions of any other courses where I could combine maths and biology/psychology?

Lots of questions sorry!

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for nat sci but at Cambridge, maths will usually/most certainly require STEP as part of the offer. It seems you want to do bio nat sci so try that because there is, as far as I know, no biological element in the maths Tripos. So I'd focus on the biological side of it on your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely want to appy for nat sci at cambridge and birmingham but I might also apply for maths at birmingham and possibly warwick but I'm not sure I'd manage STEP. My maths teacher seemed to think it was a possibility if they'd accept as further maths instead of full a level. I know nat sci is what I'd prefer but so far cambridge and birmingham are the only places that offer it at a university I've liked at the open day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Combining biology and maths eh? Interesting, but theres not that much out there in that I'm afraid...you can get MSc's in systems biology or bioinformatics but I don't think theres many courses that combine the two at undergraduate level. What A-levels are you doing?
    I'm doing biology, chemistry, maths, critical thinking at A2 and AS further maths next year. I did AS french this year too but not really relevent. so far I've got A in all the modules but did much better in bio and maths than chem, and I've pretty much known all along that they were what I wanted to do. I know Bristol does joint honours bio and maths but I didn't really like the university as I'd prefer a campus or small town.

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to become a biological mathematician (and not a mathematical biologist) then you will want to focus on mathematics at undergraduate level, as well as take courses in the biological sciences. For this purpose I would suggest a degree in mathematics, supplemented by as many courses in biology as possible.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/c...s_with_Biology

ReputationRep:
    Okay, if you want to get into warwick for math you either need AA in math+F.math or STEP (normally grade 2), Cambridge is even more difficult to get into. You could easily get onto the natural science course (typically AAB offer) at bham and take math as one (or both) of your majors (you get 2 majors and 1 minor). I'm a warwick grad and a bham postgrad in chemistry if you have any questions about the universities or courses
    It's now compulsory to do STEP/AEA (grade 2) to get onto Warwick's maths degree. Last year, the only way to avoid it was to get AAAA (including maths and further maths) but they scraped that offer.

ReputationRep:
    Here's their offers for 2009 entry:

Standard Offers for Admission in September 2009
    Offer 1: A(M) A(FM) B b 2
    Offer 2: A(M) a(FM) A B 2
    Offer 3: A(M) A A a 2

ReputationRep:
    Damn...thats how a lot of my friends got onto math, and they didn't do badly...not sure why they changed that, increased competition maybe?
    Yeah they're really, really over-subscribed. Most people go for that offer so I guess that's why they got rid of it.

ReputationRep:
    I believe Bristol has a mathematics with Biology course, and Bristol is a darn good maths Uni, should be worth checking out.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.