Turn on thread page Beta

Are your parents... watch

• View Poll Results: Are your parents overprotective?
    Very
    21.90%
    A little
    31.43%
    Not really
    32.38%
    Definatly not!
    14.29%

ReputationRep:
    Do you feel your parents are overprotective, or just right?

Thought this would be interesting, after reading some threads about uni.

ReputationRep:
    just right. ive got lots of freedom

ReputationRep:
    they are very overprotective =/

ReputationRep:
    I have parents some would say are underprotective, although personally I think it's good.

From about 12 or so, I could go out in the city, or out in the mountains, at any time, and as long as I told then roughly where I was going, they were fine.

ReputationRep:
    My mum not so much, but my Dad is.

ReputationRep:
    No, they are basically shoving me out the door. But they don't want me to starve or suffer, so they buy me things.
    It's a kind of 'go away but survive and come back in a good several years, bye' attitude.

ReputationRep:
    They let me make my own decisions because over the years, I have showed them that I can be trusted.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, sometimes they are and other times not!

ReputationRep:
    Not any more. They were quite overprotective when I was a teenager, but they really eased off once I went to college, thankfully.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. They moved abroad when I was 17.

ReputationRep:
    Not protective enough ..although if I did do something that was not 'right' then I know I'm in for ****.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously underprotective!

I can go anywhere and do anything. Once i stayed at a friends for a week without telling them where or who i was with. It was only on day 3 i got a text saying something like, "Where are you? Are you having a good time?" :no:

ReputationRep:
    I live on my own, so no, lulz.

ReputationRep:
    Dad's well laid-back and my mum can be, but she does have her moments. It irritates me when she does because I've shown that I can handle myself but no matter what I do to prove myself sometimes it's just not enough. Grrr. :mad:
    She's generally okay though.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are a bit over protective, but then again i will be when i have kids and i think its a gut instinct from a parent.

ReputationRep:
    Laid back, pretty much did what I wanted from about 15/16 onwards.

Live alone now and can't believe people my age are still controlled by their parents!

I think if my parents were over-protected I would have seriously rebelled anyway so its a good job they weren't!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solar)
    Seriously underprotective!

I can go anywhere and do anything. Once i stayed at a friends for a week without telling them where or who i was with. It was only on day 3 i got a text saying something like, "Where are you? Are you having a good time?" :no:
    !!!!!:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    My mums protective, but if i want to do somthing i think she might not be keen on me doing, so long as i explain why i think it would be good for me to do it etc., then shes understanding

ReputationRep:
    I voted 'very' but thinking about it... They are very protective "Don't go to this place etc." but if I say I've been I won't be punished as they know I'm responsible.

Although the lecture I used to get (about 3 months ago) from my mum everytime I left the house went something like this "Watch the road! Don't talk to strangers! Stay away from gangs." I just replied once "Strangers, but they are fun, they give me sweeties" and not really heard it since :p:

ReputationRep:
    mine are more or less just right- i have to go and poke them when i get in at 4am so they know i've not been raped, but that's basically it

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.