Which A levels for Computer Science at Oxbridge, Imperial.

Watch
username118893
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm in year 11 and I'm choosing my A levels. I want to do computer science at university. I'm thinking of doing Economics, Geography, Maths, Further Maths as my A levels. Would this be fine to get into Oxbridge or Imperial for computer science or would I need something like Economics, Physics, Maths, Further Maths instead?

Thanks in advance for your help
SAARH.A5
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
For Oxford, the entry requirements are A*AA including at least an A in Mathematics, with the A* in Mathematics, Further Mathematics or Computing/Computer Science. Those taking Further Mathematics A-level or AS-level are expected to achieve at least Grade A.

The subject requirements are Maths and Further Maths. So, as long as you choose Maths and Further Maths you should be fine. You can choose any other third subject.
username118893
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by SAARH.A5)
For Oxford, the entry requirements are A*AA including at least an A in Mathematics, with the A* in Mathematics, Further Mathematics or Computing/Computer Science. Those taking Further Mathematics A-level or AS-level are expected to achieve at least Grade A.

The subject requirements are Maths and Further Maths. So, as long as you choose Maths and Further Maths you should be fine. You can choose any other third subject.
Thanks for your help. I was just wondering whether physics would make me stand out from the other candidates (because of the maths involved in physics) at these top unis. I would rather not do both physics and further maths (because I've heard that they're both really hard A levels) but I would do both if it makes it easier to get into these unis.
ShonenLights
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The most common subject choices for computer science are normally Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics. They are all the recommended subjects on imperials page
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by username118893)
I'm in year 11 and I'm choosing my A levels. I want to do computer science at university. I'm thinking of doing Economics, Geography, Maths, Further Maths as my A levels. Would this be fine to get into Oxbridge or Imperial for computer science or would I need something like Economics, Physics, Maths, Further Maths instead?
I would rather not do both physics and further maths (because I've heard that they're both really hard A levels) but I would do both if it makes it easier to get into these unis.
I did Maths, FM, Physics and CS. I read Engineering and CS at Oxford, and my son JMC at Imperial. Physics was easy, as I just got it, so it reduced to maths. If you're aiming for Oxbridge and Imperial (arguably harder), I would assume that you will find many of your subjects easy. That's not to say that some won't take work, but you shouldn't be overwhelmed, once you've really got into them.

Choose what you enjoy - Maths and FM covers the basics. With that said, does your school offer CS? You do need to demonstrate an interest in computing, although that can be by your own projects. Good luck.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 6 months ago
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thanks for your help. I was just wondering whether physics would make me stand out from the other candidates (because of the maths involved in physics) at these top unis. I would rather not do both physics and further maths (because I've heard that they're both really hard A levels) but I would do both if it makes it easier to get into these unis.
Not really - the maths involved in A-level physics is only very slightly beyond GCSE.

Imperial has physics under its recommended A-levels, but only expects maths/FM. If you have reservations over physics it isn't essential. As long as you have maths and further maths you'll be able to apply to pretty much any CS course. Physics isn't even mentioned in the entry requirements for Oxbridge.

FWIW FM and physics are commonly taken together (maths/fm/physics [and possibly some fourth] is a pretty common combination for maths/cs/physics and the like - for those applying to Oxbridge for a mathematical subject, (normal) maths is usually a doddle) so I wouldn't let this be your main reservation. If you prefer geography though by all means take that.
Last edited by _gcx; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (43)
18.61%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (66)
28.57%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (87)
37.66%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.6%

Watched Threads