Can we take notes during lectures with laptops?

Watch
wolf.beaumont
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm joining Plymouth University in the new academic year but I've been out of education since I was 16 (19 years ago). Are we allowed to use our own laptops during lectures for note-taking? I'm much faster and much more mentally comfortable as a typist than I am as a writer when taking notes.
FRS500
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Of course! I find it helps to use a dictaphone too which can record the lecture.

That way, if you miss anything while typing then it's no drama... just go back to the recording and listen for anything you need to fill the gaps.
FRS500
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FRS500)
Of course! I find it helps to use a dictaphone too which can record the lecture.

That way, if you miss anything while typing then it's no drama... just go back to the recording and listen for anything you need to fill the gaps.
Also, your lectures may be recorded on Panpoto so there'd be no need to record in this instance.
wolf.beaumont
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by FRS500)
Also, your lectures may be recorded on Panpoto so there'd be no need to record in this instance.
Ah I was planning to record them with my webcam whilst taking notes as I don't know if I'll struggle to keep up.
JT_888
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wolf.beaumont)
I'm joining Plymouth University in the new academic year but I've been out of education since I was 16 (19 years ago). Are we allowed to use our own laptops during lectures for note-taking? I'm much faster and much more mentally comfortable as a typist than I am as a writer when taking notes.
You can use your laptop during lectures for note-taking. The majority of students use Word or Google Docs when note-taking and a minority will download the slides and add notes below the slides on PowerPoint. Btw, lectures are recorded and you should be able to access them after the lecture - useful if you missed a key point or the lecturer went through their lecture very quickly. If you're doing a subject like mathematics, it may be better to handwrite your notes because typing them via LaTex will slow you down and you may have to draw diagrams or whatever, etc. Completely up to you and what works best. Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (106)
34.42%
Yes - a trusted person (88)
28.57%
No (81)
26.3%
I'm not sure (33)
10.71%

Watched Threads