Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TuskSE)
    I'm off to St Hilda's in October to study Physics. :hello: Been lurking for quite a while ...
    Hey, I'm in for physics too.

I applied to Wadham, got an open offer, was told Hilda's on results day, and now I have just been contacted by Queen's to say they have a place just come available and I could swap. Initially I thought I definitely would, but location is a big one for me, and the thought of living even further across the Magdalen bridge galls me slightly. I can imagine becoming very quickly sick of walking 15 minutes to and from the college bar.

Any thoughts? :thrasher: Should I stay or should I go? :thrasher:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't base your choice on distances, which are all small really; nor even on how wealthy, pretty, etc. the college is. It's down to people. You'll find a good bunch of friends at whatever college you go to (or you won't, but it's down to you rather than the college). What will be different is the people who will be teaching you; the Fellows in Physics.

Hilda's and Queens each have two Fellows - you might usefully have a look at their webpages, and maybe there'll be TSR-ites with direct experience of being taught by them. If one college has much nicer Fellows in the subject, or just ones you feel you could get on with better (or worse), that could sway your choice.

DtS

ReputationRep:
    Well in the end I swapped, hope it was a good choice! Will find out soon! Thanks for the help Derek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3tilley)
    Well in the end I swapped, hope it was a good choice! Will find out soon! Thanks for the help Derek.
    And just so you know - Hilda's and Queen's complex on St Clement's are about the same distance. And there's a pretty good atmosphere (Queen's Complex)there with all the first years are there. Get a bike and you're sorted. And Queen's is so pretty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClareR)
    The last heard the college are installing a swipe in system on all college buildings with each college member having a swipe card, which removes the security argument for the signing in book. And the fact that with boys they will no longer be able to tell who isnt a member of the college in the same way.
    Although thinking back actually I think it was still a little undecided about the book. They definitely realise its an issue though, but I hope they do scrap it. Despite the pathetic piece of paper to cover the names above it is still hardly a good system, and still has the shameful reputation....!
    That hasn't happened yet, sadly.

The plus side is, though, that no one ever asks anyone to sign in - I've had loads of people stay, and none of them have signed in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TuskSE)
    I'm off to St Hilda's in October to study Physics. :hello: Been lurking for quite a while ...

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed my interview time at St Hilda's, and I don’t think me or any of the other male applicants felt like the single sex thing was an issue, and we were certainly made to feel welcome. After the first few minutes, I didn’t really notice the all-female thing at all. [Especially since every single physics applicant (As far as I remember) was male!]
    I didn't apply to St.Hildas, but if I had the chance to do my applications over again, I'd definitely apply there rather than anywhere else. Great atmosphere.
    Freddy? Sam? Tom? :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    The plus side is, though, that no one ever asks anyone to sign in - I've had loads of people stay, and none of them have signed in.
    Same as before, then.
    As far as I know, nobody really took the signing-in rule that seriously anyway. The worst that can possibly happen is that there's an unexpected fire alarm and you get told off when the person who checks the names on the list realises the name of your friend / girlfriend / boyfriend / granny isn't on it. But even then you can just say "oh, I'm so sorry, I was so excited Xyz came up to visit me that I completely forgot to sign him/her in" and that's it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    Freddy? Sam? Tom? :p:
    Hint: look at his profile.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Unless "Freddy" is short for "Samuel", I'd assume it's Sam.:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Hint: look at his profile.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Unless "Freddy" is short for "Samuel", I'd assume it's Sam.:p:
    ha ha, I'm so dozey sometimes. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Same as before, then.
    As far as I know, nobody really took the signing-in rule that seriously anyway. The worst that can possibly happen is that there's an unexpected fire alarm and you get told off when the person who checks the names on the list realises the name of your friend / girlfriend / boyfriend / granny isn't on it. But even then you can just say "oh, I'm so sorry, I was so excited Xyz came up to visit me that I completely forgot to sign him/her in" and that's it.
    Signing in at Hilda's was always a bit of an ordeal, as they used to insist upon your doing it if you're male and obviously an outsider. I think the porters saw themselves as the last barrier between their precious girls and the Wild East.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Huw Davies)
    Signing in at Hilda's was always a bit of an ordeal, as they used to insist upon your doing it if you're male and obviously an outsider. I think the porters saw themselves as the last barrier between their precious girls and the Wild East.
    Oh, right, you mean if you arrived after the gates had already been closed. Yes, fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Wild West surely. They are the furthest east of all college, are they not, or all the main ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)
    Wild West surely. They are the furthest east of all college, are they not, or all the main ones?
    The Wild East being the Cowley\Iffley Roads area east again of Hilda's.

ReputationRep:
    The Wild East being the Cowley\Iffley Roads area east again of Hilda's.
    Does anyone ever go there, save for those who need the sports centre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)
    Does anyone ever go there, save for those who need the sports centre?
    I live there. Beyond the old bingo hall in fact, which is "Here Be Dragons" for most Oxford undergraduates.

ReputationRep:
    haha, "does anyone ever go to cowley road?" seriously?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Damn it, I merged all my replies from here into the other thread. Rookie...

ReputationRep:
    And I then responded to your answer rather than responding here... odd

And yes, plenty of people go to the Cowley Road! Bearing in mind it has the Carling Academy; At least 4 Indians; At least 3 Chinese's; 2 Lebanese restaurants; A Polish place; The Italian Deli; A Caribbean place; The Jamaican bar; A couple more cocktail places; half a dozen pubs... Seriously apart from 2 Indians on the Jericho side of town and some pizza places on the inside where else do you get takeaway in Oxford :p: (Only half serious)

ReputationRep:
    Wow, so there is more beyond Magadalen Bridge than muscle burn and swim tests.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A wander up Cowley Rd on a sunny day is fun - as a female, it starts with ogling the dress in the Ball Gown, then nipping into the fancy dress shop to contemplate my next bop costume, then going into the various charity shops (either for bop costumes, or just clothes in general - picked up some gorgeous shoes in the Cowley Rd Oxfam, brand new...), getting all your shopping in Tesco, cheap stationary from the stationary shop, general cookery/bakery stuff from the general stores... It's cool up there

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.