Watch
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ascend)
I'd say mostly for profit but there was also a foreign policy machination that once China yields to capitalism it would somehow join the liberal world order of the 20th century as many of its neighbours had done. Obviously this didn't happen and China merely exploited global trade without compromising its authoritarianism.
As far as wiley self interest goes, you have to applaud Beijing for that. The Celestial Kingdom really did recover from its European imposed hiatus by playing the game.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Winnie is public enemy no 1. in China.

Name:  Abe Jingping.JPG
Views: 21
Size:  30.9 KB
Last edited by uberteknik; 4 weeks ago
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
and Denmark want to stop people with down syndrome being born.

https://www.liveaction.org/news/denm...s-almost-all/?
What do you think the amniocentesis tests and subsequent abortions are for, here in Blighty? 🤔
excitedpresent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
Nice liberal Sweden did force sterilization of disabled people in 1970s and Denmark want to stop people with down syndrome being born.

https://www.liveaction.org/news/denm...s-almost-all/?
Don't get me wrong, that's still cruel.
But the Chinese are leagues crueller than the Nordic countries. Out of everywhere in the world, the Nordic countries are probably the best places to live.
Nabu123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ChrisW99)
Fake news. Only white people oppress minorities.
This is literal ethnic cleansing, is it really the time to be petty like that.
ChrisW99
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Nabu123)
This is literal ethnic cleansing, is it really the time to be petty like that.
Where are the protests? Activists don't know what to do when the perpetrators aren't white.
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Leaked drone footage of CCP authorities loading Uighur men (with heads shaved) onto trains, presumably to transport them to "re-education" camps.

Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Leaked drone footage of CCP authorities loading Uighur men (with heads shaved) onto trains, presumably to transport them to "re-education" camps.

I'm just impressed theyve managed to make this scene reminiscent of both Auschwitz and the Gulags in distinct ways.. disgraceful behaviour.
As much as i think bombing China would be a catastrophe for the world, this sort of behaviour does soften my opposition.

Unfortunately no one seems to care (quelle surprise) and only about the some minor (by comparison) loss of rights.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Wow. Why isn't this plastered all over the media and where are the demonstrations?

Abhorrent and disgusting treatment.

Pulling down a few statues seems decidedly churlish when confronted with this kind of evidence. Especially when countries, like the UK at least, have a healthy political discourse and have made big advances with inclusion and equality with still much more to do.

China is creating a time bomb and the clock is ticking.
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ChrisW99)
Where are the protests? Activists don't know what to do when the perpetrators aren't white.
I mean this is China after all, probably the most backwards authoritarian country in the world second to North Korea. You know what will happen if you protest over there.

(Original post by Napp)
I'm just impressed theyve managed to make this scene reminiscent of both Auschwitz and the Gulags in distinct ways.. disgraceful behaviour.
As much as i think bombing China would be a catastrophe for the world, this sort of behaviour does soften my opposition.

Unfortunately no one seems to care (quelle surprise) and only about the some minor (by comparison) loss of rights.
Same here, nuking China don't seem so bad now
Last edited by The RAR; 2 weeks ago
Ascend
Rep:
?
Petition for the UK to impose sanctions on China over this genocide.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300146/

Impose sanctions on China over its treatment of Uyghur Muslims

The UK Government plans to introduce “Magnitsky law”, a law which targets people who commit gross human rights violations. Through this law or alternative means, this petition urges the UK Government to impose sanctions on China for their human rights violations on the Uyghur people.

Since 2017, there have been many reports of the “cultural genocide” of Uyghur Muslims, a minority Turkic ethnic group native to Xinjiang, China. They are subject to mass detention, mass surveillance, restriction of religious and cultural identities, as well as other gross human rights abuses. Over a million Uyghurs have been forced into "re-education" camps.

In front of the United Nations in October 2019, pressure was placed on China regarding the treatment of Uyghurs during a joint statement from 23 countries. Despite this statement and growing public awareness, nothing substantial or concrete has been done to resolve the crisis and help the Uyghur people.

Share it around if you can.
Covid cover up
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
China will kill the rest of the world they want world domination this is like Hitler in the 1930s
zetamcfc
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Covid cover up)
China will kill the rest of the world they want world domination this is like Hitler in the 1930s
How do you suppose they will do that?
Calibrated.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

It's a waste of time. There are too many British businesses with a vested interest in China for our impotent government to kick up a fuss.
Ascend
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trotsky's Ghost)
It's a waste of time. There are too many British businesses with a vested interest in China for our impotent government to kick up a fuss.
Well I'd like to at least see them being forced to address it.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Trotsky's Ghost)
Which is pretty sad.

I do think we as consumers should work against buying goods made in China. There are good percentage chances that components in many China-made electronic goods are assembled by slave labour.

Some of the things that happen in China are in my opinion almost worse than the worst things the Nazis did. Organ farming for example - there is good evidence that the authorities in China continue to kill prisoners for their organs. We're talking about a massive system of forced labour and imprisonment, systematic torture and other cruelties.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Which is pretty sad.

I do think we as consumers should work against buying goods made in China. There are good percentage chances that components in many China-made electronic goods are assembled by slave labour.

Some of the things that happen in China are in my opinion almost worse than the worst things the Nazis did. Organ farming for example - there is good evidence that the authorities in China continue to kill prisoners for their organs. We're talking about a massive system of forced labour and imprisonment, systematic torture and other cruelties.
Definitely speak through your wallet and check what is bought fro country of origin.

I went to my local Sainsbury's a few weeks back for a general shop. A sleeve of 4 garlic bulbs was tagged 'Produce of China'.
I'm not joking.

WTF? Clearly, it's more profitable for supermarkets to now source food items that are easily grown in Europe and ship it half way around the world. I bought the Spanish produce at £0.10p difference.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
Definitely speak through your wallet and check what is bought fro country of origin.

I went to my local Sainsbury's a few weeks back for a general shop. A sleeve of 4 garlic bulbs was tagged 'Produce of China'.
I'm not joking.

WTF? Clearly, it's more profitable for supermarkets to now source food items that are easily grown in Europe and ship it half way around the world. I bought the Spanish produce at £0.10p difference.
It's outrageous, especially given the lip service the big chains all give to lowering CO2 emissions. What's really bad is that they must be picking those crops using either very low paid labour or effective slave labour to generate a price low enough once you factor in global shipping.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by excitedpresent)
This treatment of Uighurs is being compared with the holocaust of the 20th century; it is basically genocide. It's really *****ed up tbh, like something out of 1984.
If all they do to them is sterilisation and abortion, then this is not even remotely as bad as the Holocaust.

Not likely to help. They see them as threat, and want to eliminate this threat.
If Chinese were to listen to international appeals, they would have left Tibetans alone in the first place.

(Original post by zetamcfc)
How do you suppose they will do that?
It would be a logical step on their side to adress two problems; to stop climate change, but not to damage the prospective Chinese domination.

All they have to do is to spread pandemics, that highly organised and disciplinned societies can defend from, while others can't.
It could be even old, well known illnesses, that most of the world is vulnerable to, because people are not vaccined.
Moreover, this way they could prevent further destruction of environment, and save endangered spiecies all around the world.
Ascend
Rep:
?
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Not likely to help. They see them as threat, and want to eliminate this threat.
If Chinese were to listen to international appeals, they would have left Tibetans alone in the first place.
No one is under the illusion that China listens to international humanitarian appeals. The point is to pressure them where it really hurts: money. And there's no better time than right now:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/07/06...logy-spending/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (35)
18.13%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (54)
27.98%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
53.89%

Watched Threads