The UK is to offer full Citizenship to Hong Kong Residents. Thoughts?

Watch
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good.

While they're at it, why don't we turn the Isle of Man into a great megacity and we can have Hong Kong 2.0 there.
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by L i b)
Good.

While they're at it, why don't we turn the Isle of Man into a great megacity and we can have Hong Kong 2.0 there.
Sure, why not? It would only completely obliterate the Manx people and their culture, and destroy a unique ecosystem, but **** em, right? Cold, soulless capitalism is all that matters, right?
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by L i b)
Good.

Any excuse for another bridge
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wōden)
Sure, why not? It would only completely obliterate the Manx people and their culture, and destroy a unique ecosystem, but **** em, right? Cold, soulless capitalism is all that matters, right?
We'll just tell get the Hong Kongers to wear dirty jumpers and marry their first cousins. Integration. Might be a good opportunity to bring back birching after that short hiatus.
Last edited by L i b; 1 month ago
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anaa100)
more immigrants, arent there enough already
It's interesting you talk about the evils of immigrants yet have a foreign flag (inferring you're a foreigner) as your picture..
jackien1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yea then let them deal with Hong Kong then, the British handed it over in the late 90s , why should the British Taxpayer be responsible for not only millions of current immigrants but millions of new ones. and we already have a pandemic / economic problems.
I can almost guarantee that any HKer that moves here will contribute more to the economy than you probably will.
Xdrxfc.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sam.C.Mat)
Because China is bigger, richer and more important than us.
Because of that, can I break your mum's nose?
Vapordave
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good.
We have a duty under the Sino-British Declaration to protect the freedom of Hongkongers.
Lollipopslife
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nice gesture but I doubt if they wanna come to the UK. Moreover, would China allow people to leave? They would be guarding the ports 🤦🏽*♀️
Vapordave
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lollipopslife)
Nice gesture but I doubt if they wanna come to the UK. Moreover, would China allow people to leave? They would be guarding the ports 🤦🏽*♀️
That is very illegal.
Neilos
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The particular status required (British National Overseas) came about through somewhat unique circumstances, so making them a special case seems reasonable. Though, moving to the other side of the world is such a massive thing to do, I can't see more than a small percentage of those holding it taking advantage of the offer.
OptiWeight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yea then let them deal with Hong Kong then, the British handed it over in the late 90s , why should the British Taxpayer be responsible for not only millions of current immigrants but millions of new ones. and we already have a pandemic / economic problems.
Yeah the British Taxpayer should not pay for Immigrants, in term of an financial aspect. And the people of Palestinian people should not pay the price of annexation.
OptiWeight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
It's interesting you talk about the evils of immigrants yet have a foreign flag (inferring you're a foreigner) as your picture..
what foreign flag is that? Anna yet again creating random flags! daft b^^ch.... aaa-choo... annexation... sorry mate i think i am exhibiting symptoms of Cornavirus. Bless me
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OptiWeight)
what foreign flag is that? Anna yet again creating random flags! daft b^^ch.... aaa-choo... annexation... sorry mate i think i am exhibiting symptoms of Cornavirus. Bless me
Did you just have a seizure?
wheelbarrow-man
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
Good I’m all for it!

The people from Hong Kong are very welcome to come.
I've heard there are plans to relocate all the Hong Kongers to Clacton-on-sea, give it free port status, and allow them to turn it into a glass and steel Essex Tiger.
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SMEGGGY)
Three million people are entitled to come and live here, that's scary. Obviously not all coming together but sporadically I think but still, 65 million population already.
If the Irish can handle having 1 million citizens not resident, I think we can handle 3 million.
faucets
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i'm from hk and thank you what you've said - half of this thread is about how there are 7 million Hong Kongers but only 3 million are eligible to move to the UK, and personally I don't know many people who are planning on moving there. interestingly enough, some of us want to move to other, less xenophobic countries!! anybody who would move to the UK as part of this scheme would probably be affluent enough to contribute a lot more to the economy than they take and wouldn't be the British taxpayer's responsibility please enlighten me as to why the general public would have to pay for us??? we're not refugees?? nobody from Hong Kong would move to the UK without secure finances and knowing what they're getting into.
OptiWeight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Did you just have a seizure?
My symptoms are irregular to that of a seizure, therefore the likely cause in this day and age is Cornavirus (or i might have a flu!)
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vicvic38)
If the Irish can handle having 1 million citizens not resident, I think we can handle 3 million.
Well we bloody well can't!
username4222532
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chocolate_fan)
Only 3 million will actually be eligible, and it's highly unlikely anywhere close to that number will move to to the UK.I'd be surprised if it was even a million.
Sadly with China's growing influence and power, I don't think there is any better way, short of all out war.
l think many will go to Canada / New Zealand /
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (32)
23.36%
Better than expected (29)
21.17%
Worse than expected (76)
55.47%

Watched Threads