Want more information about this university?

economics and politics at lancaster uni

Watch
maddiethorp
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is economics and politics part of the Lancaster management school ? I went on the management school's website and economics, politics, and international relations was on the management website but economics and politics isn't and is only on the actual Lancaster site. Also, any advice or info on whether this is a good degree to take would be helpful. I'm thinking of doing a master's in either economics or politics afterwards.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by maddiethorp)
Is economics and politics part of the Lancaster management school ? I went on the management school's website and economics, politics, and international relations was on the management website but economics and politics isn't and is only on the actual Lancaster site. Also, any advice or info on whether this is a good degree to take would be helpful. I'm thinking of doing a master's in either economics or politics afterwards.
Hi Maddie,

I've just graduated from Lancaster in BA Economics & Politics, I hope I can help. In my experience, my overall course and economics modules were run from the Management School (LUMS) with my politics modules organised from the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS). The two departments work really well together and coordinate amazingly to make sure your degree is run as smooth as possible. The difference between the course title relates to different modules you can choose to take in your 2nd and 3rd years in either Politics or International Relations. Some of these modules overlap but some are much different, so you would choose politics modules going forward to graduate in Economics & Politics.

In my experience the degree has been a great experience for me! The course gave me the flexibility and opportunity to learn about a variety of topics that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to in pure Economics degree (my original course). The two courses go hand in hand too, with Economics being the more technical and maths based course and Politics being more research based and creative in regards to writing essays on a range of topics. By doing both courses too I found I could apply my learning from one to the other, by either providing a real world, political context to economic theory or to recognise the implications of political decisions on the wider economy. This was a real help when it came to coursework or exams as I had a new perspective to write about. The variety of skills in both research and analysis from the course should put you in a great position to do a variety of masters courses!

Any more questions about the course please get in touch,
Finn (3rd Year BA Economics & Politics student)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (209)
38.78%
Take autumn exams (162)
30.06%
Look for a job (19)
3.53%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.08%
Take a year out (95)
17.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
5.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed