zaidm1137
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Which A level is easier, chemistry or maths. I am around a 6/7 in GCSE. Also is chemistry just learning facts like Biology or a lot harder
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For chemistry, it’s a bit of both understanding and memorising but I would say that if you do not understand chemistry well, you would struggle as it is a big jump from GCSE to A Level. However, if you are willing to work for it and you enjoy it, it’s definitely worth it. I enjoy chemistry a lot!

Personally, I find chemistry harder than maths but I think that is mainly personal preference. Hope this helps!
Last edited by Chopinnocturne31; 3 months ago
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by zaidm1137)
Which A level is easier, chemistry or maths. I am around a 6/7 in GCSE. Also is chemistry just learning facts like Biology or a lot harder
No A-Level is just learning facts, unfortunately. Chemistry, Biology and Maths A-Level have a lot of application of knowledge. My teacher said that just knowing the facts will get you a C/D at A-Level but applying them will get you A*/A/B. Personally, I don't take Biology and Maths but I have heard it is hard.

Perhaps, to get a feel of the subject you should look at past papers and see how you find it.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any specific questions about Chemistry A-Level.
username4917388
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Firstly, Biology is not just "learning facts". In fact, I found a lot more memory work in chemistry that I did in Biology!

It depends what you wish to do at university too - make sure you're not thinking of a degree which would say require maths.
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I would take chem over bio
zaidm1137
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
For chemistry, it’s a bit of both understanding and memorising but I would say that if you do not understand chemistry well, you would struggle as it is a big jump from GCSE to chemistry. However, if you are willing to work for it and you enjoy it, it’s definitely worth it. I enjoy chemistry a lot!

Personally, I find chemistry harder than maths but I think that is mainly personal preference. Hope this helps!
It is wierd but i like all subjects that I do, I don't mind if a subject is boring, I will make it fun, but I just want to know which one will be easier to understand and do. Chem or Maths
Chopinnocturne31
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It is wierd but i like all subjects that I do, I don't mind if a subject is boring, I will make it fun, but I just want to know which one will be easier to understand and do. Chem or Maths
Personally, I find maths easier and chemistry is considered to be one of the hardest A Levels but that does not mean that maths is easy either. Which do you find easier at GCSE? Also, what are you planning on studying at uni? Because you may need certain subjects based on that
Last edited by Chopinnocturne31; 3 months ago
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Statistically, Maths is easier than Chemistry. (The government produces predicts grades for A level students based on their average GCSE results. A student's predicted A level Chemistry score will be slightly lower than theirs for Maths.) However, individual may find Chemistry easier than Maths - because it suits their patterns of thinking more or because they find it more interesting and so engage with it more.
zaidm1137
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
Personally, I find maths easier and chemistry is considered to be one of the hardest A Levels but that does not mean that maths is easy either. Which do you find easier at GCSE? Also, what are you planning on studying at uni? Because you may need certain subjects based on that
I don't know which one is easier really? I don't find any of them difficult and like them both, I am terrible at maths but somehow am a grade 7, the grade boundaries were very low. But I think I am better at chemsitry
Chopinnocturne31
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don't know which one is easier really? I don't find any of them difficult and like them both, I am terrible at maths but somehow am a grade 7, the grade boundaries were very low. But I think I am better at chemsitry
If you think you are better at chemistry, then go for it! But bear in mind that it will be a big jump from GCSE to A Level and you will have to work hard. But if you think that you’re terrible at maths then it might not be a good idea to do it at A Level because maths can also be hard
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (63)
15.14%
I'm not sure (14)
3.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (141)
33.89%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.44%
I'm not a current university student (192)
46.15%

Watched Threads