Chemical Engineering Personal Statement

Watch
.Dezer.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I want to do chemical engineering at University and I have read through multiple different personal statements and I still don't have any idea really how I am going to write my personal statement, I have written about my passion for my subject but I that's about 2 paragraphs and I don't know where to go from there and help is appreciated.
BTW I don't have any work experience so I can't mention anything about that.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 02ds12)
Hi, I want to do chemical engineering at University and I have read through multiple different personal statements and I still don't have any idea really how I am going to write my personal statement, I have written about my passion for my subject but I that's about 2 paragraphs and I don't know where to go from there and help is appreciated.
BTW I don't have any work experience so I can't mention anything about that.
Have you done any online courses/MOOCS?
.Dezer.
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Have you done any online courses/MOOCS?
No, I haven't done any would you recommend it because my parents can't really afford expensive MOOC's but if there are any free online courses I would definitely be up to doing them.
Again Thanks
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, I haven't done any would you recommend it because my parents can't really afford expensive MOOC's but if there are any free online courses I would definitely be up to doing them.
Again Thanks
I think Coursera does a few free MOOCs

Here is the link:
https://www.coursera.org/
.Dezer.
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
I think Coursera does a few free MOOCs

Here is the link:
https://www.coursera.org/
Thanks so much!!!
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks so much!!!
No problem!
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Try future learn or edx as well as coursera - you dont need to get the certificate for it. What else have you done?
.Dezer.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Try future learn or edx as well as coursera - you dont need to get the certificate for it. What else have you done?
What exactly do you mean when you say what else have I done?
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What exactly do you mean when you say what else have I done?
Like for exploring chemical engineering or anything relating to it?
.Dezer.
Rep:
?
Like for exploring chemical engineering or anything relating to it?
I have done some further reading into the topic and also have watched a lot of videos about engineering and just in general about fuel resources as thats a topic I am really interested in
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have done some further reading into the topic and also have watched a lot of videos about engineering and just in general about fuel resources as thats a topic I am really interested in
That's great to talk about. Why dont you include that in or have you already done so?
.Dezer.
Rep:
?
I just don't really know what else I can do to enhance my personal statement or my application in general PetitePanda
any help is much appreciated
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I just don't really know what else I can do to enhance my personal statement or my application in general PetitePanda
any help is much appreciated
Tbh doing more in the specific areas will be better. I suggest doing more in fuel resources if that's something you are interested in as I believe this will make it more personal to your interests. I defo recommend you research what modules the course has so you remind yourself you are applying for that course.
JJJJJAAAAMES
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Read some books, watch some lectures, do tutoring in your school, take part in open evenings, then write about it in your personal statement.
.Dezer.
Rep:
?
Tbh doing more in the specific areas will be better. I suggest doing more in fuel resources if that's something you are interested in as I believe this will make it more personal to your interests. I defo recommend you research what modules the course has so you remind yourself you are applying for that course.
thanks plus do you know where I could find more detailed info about what each module is about because I could link the skills required for each of the modules to some of the stuff I have done in the past like dofe and ncs etc
.Dezer.
Rep:
?
(Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES)
Read some books, watch some lectures, do tutoring in your school, take part in open evenings, then write about it in your personal statement.
What kind of books are you recommending?
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
thanks plus do you know where I could find more detailed info about what each module is about because I could link the skills required for each of the modules to some of the stuff I have done in the past like dofe and ncs etc
Absolutely no idea. Maybe make a post on here on what skills you need for chemical engineering?
.Dezer.
Rep:
?
Absolutely no idea. Maybe make a post on here on what skills you need for chemical engineering?
Ok will do thanks!
.Dezer.
Rep:
?
I have a few questions regarding my personal statement, thanks in advance to anyone willing to help:
1) I want to do a degree in Chemical Engineering, I have done some extracurriculars but I don't know if I can mention them: NCS and DofE and have done paid work at PRIMARK
2) I don't have work experience but I have come to know that this is quite hard to find and instead, I have been told by others in TSR to read books/articles/watch lectures. I was wondering if anyone could help me find some good links that I could go to for these.
3) I have gone past the 2500 characters mark in my personal statement but I am really stuck now (I know this might be because I have not read books etc...) so far I have mentioned about my passion for Chemistry and what field I am really interested in going into with my degree, I tried mentioning how my A-Levels have helped me become a good candidate for the degree. That's about it so if anyone could guide me from that point I would really appreciate it.
4) How do people write their personal statements that when someone reads it just flows well, I really struggle to write like that and when I look at other Chem Eng Personal Statements I wish I wrote something like that but I can't because that would be plagiarism. Will they kill us for copying maybe a line or two???
This next question is not really related to my PS but my Application in general:
I lived in the UK till I was in year 5 and then due to some family problems I had to move to India and stayed in a boarding school for 2 years. When I came back it took me a really long while to get readjusted again. Does this count as an Extenuating circumstance. And could I maybe also mention this in my PS about how I already have some experience away from home etc..
Last edited by .Dezer.; 4 weeks ago
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have a few questions regarding my personal statement, thanks in advance to anyone willing to help:
1) I want to do a degree in Chemical Engineering, I have done some extracurriculars but I don't know if I can mention them: NCS and DofE and have done paid work at PRIMARK
2) I don't have work experience but I have come to know that this is quite hard to find and instead, I have been told by others in TSR to read books/articles/watch lectures. I was wondering if anyone could help me find some good links that I could go to for these.
3) I have gone past the 2500 characters mark in my personal statement but I am really stuck now (I know this might be because I have not read books etc...) so far I have mentioned about my passion for Chemistry and what field I am really interested in going into with my degree, I tried mentioning how my A-Levels have helped me become a good candidate for the degree. That's about it so if anyone could guide me from that point I would really appreciate it.
4) How do people write their personal statements that when someone reads it just flows well, I really struggle to write like that and when I look at other Chem Eng Personal Statements I wish I wrote something like that but I can't because that would be plagiarism. Will they kill us for copying maybe a line or two???
This next question is not really related to my PS but my Application in general:
I lived in the UK till I was in year 5 and then due to some family problems I had to move to India and stayed in a boarding school for 2 years. When I came back it took me a really long while to get readjusted again. Does this count as an Extenuating circumstance. And could I maybe also mention this in my PS about how I already have some experience away from home etc..
What you need to do is reflect on the skills you learned from your extra-curricular activities and how these demonstrate you'll be a good student. Things like team-work, time management.

Slim your PS down - don't worry about lack of work experience but have you talked about why Chem Eng [not just liking Chemistry]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (31)
42.47%
Take autumn exams (27)
36.99%
Look for a job (1)
1.37%
Consider an apprenticeship (2)
2.74%
Take a year out (9)
12.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.11%

Watched Threads