Is Furlough immoral?

Watch
Pleasantri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
As Universal Credit is cheaper to the taxpayer than £2500 a month in wages for work not being done? These people would then have the incentive to retrain.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not sure you grasp what morality is.

What is the point of retraining when they will very likely be required to come back to work post lockdown?
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pleasantri)
As Universal Credit is cheaper to the taxpayer than £2500 a month in wages for work not being done? These people would then have the incentive to retrain.
Furlough should end as millions of other workers have to continue working.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
Just because other people can work doesn't mean everyone can.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
I'm not sure you grasp what morality is.

What is the point of retraining when they will very likely be required to come back to work post lockdown?
The problem will be that most of the inane comments on this topic will come from children who've never actually even done a day's work in their life, but nevertheless think they can pontificate on the furlough scheme.
Burridge
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pleasantri)
The furlough scheme is specifically aimed at protecting jobs and skills that are feeling the brunt of the pandemic. The government is pursuing this option because they believe that the hit to the economy would be far greater without it in place. Making a direct comparison between the 'cheapness' of UC v furlough is short-sighted to say the least.

(Original post by Gundabad(good))
Please expand on this. As above, the furlough is intended to minimise the impact that lockdown will have on the economy. The alternative seems much more stark.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
The problem will be that most of the inane comments on this topic will come from children who've never actually even done a day's work in their life, but nevertheless think they can pontificate on the furlough scheme.
Well put.
The idea that someone who's been sent home from work for x number of months (but with all the attendant bills; mortgage, gas etc.) could survive on the UC seems rather farcical to me.
Never mind the rather basic premise of it was to try and keep the economy pootling along, something a couple of scrunched up twenties hurled at you a week decidedly wont do :lol:
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No. Furlough has most likely saved a whole bunch of jobs. I doubt if furlough was a thing I’d have a job right now.
SteveyStack
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The alternative was for millions to lose their jobs and then needing to find new jobs. The scheme has been generous, most likely abused as well, but regardless I do not overly envy people who have been furloughed while I have worked full time.

Also these people were hard working before Covid and while I don’t believe in giving people free rides you could argue it’s an moral not to give these people a fair chance when they are out of work due to no fault of there own!
BBx2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
£2500 is the maximum payout, not everyone will get that ad is 80% of normal pay. It was a way of employers being able to keep people in employment & still keep the business afloat. Without it many more jobs works have been lost & more businesses would have collapsed. Now as they restart it is right to start phasing it out. However, until some further restrictions are lifted, not all businesses can restart yet, especially in different parts of the U.K.
The Mogg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
No. Furlough has most likely saved a whole bunch of jobs. I doubt if furlough was a thing I’d have a job right now.
Didn't know as MHoC Speaker you got furloughed :lol:

And don't try and say you have a real life job because no one's buying it, terrible flirting doesn't count as a job :wink2:
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think furlough as a scheme has saved a number of jobs. Probably the only thing the government did within a reasonable timescale in response to the pandemic, though much of it is a copy of the Danish scheme I believe.

What is unfortunate is that it has not been a tapering scheme earlier, or one to allow for part-time work once some of the restrictions have eased. I also think that those companies who have placed staff on furlough should have to make some contributions by way of repayment or actions in kind in the future. A limit on dividends, no pay rise for those on higher rate tax levels for a period of time, for example. Philip Green's empire has benefited yet he is a very rich man (or his family are), for example.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The bigger transgression is the unsafe opening of pubs... First images... Staff serving food and drinks without a face covering 😂

Name:  Screenshot_20200704_092105_com.android.chrome.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  191.8 KB
But at least she's off furlough.....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews...bs-open-pints/

And no furlough isn't immoral it's smart, because the government ultimately shut people's places of work down, so the government has a responsibility to help those people through until their businesses reopen.

It also prevents the economy from going off a cliffedge, people tend to live near their means....

For example if you earn £2,200 a month likely you'll spend quite a bit on a decent flat and possibly have a car.....if you then go onto universal credit...you would have to abruptly stop paying your rent, and not be able likely to afford your car... This then causes even more economic damage....because the banks have toxic assets on their books (the car) or mortgages...

This at least gives the economy some give and stops it totally crashing. It also enables the lockdown.....if everyone is socially in disrepair all at once forget consumer spending figures you could have a riot on your hands.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
The bigger transgression is the unsafe opening of pubs... First images... Staff serving food and drinks without a face covering 😂

Name:  Screenshot_20200704_092105_com.android.chrome.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  191.8 KB
But at least she's off furlough.....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews...bs-open-pints/

That image doesn't look unsafe as she is keeping a good distance so no different to going to the supermarket and being 2m apart from other shoppers and staff restocking shelves
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
That image doesn't look unsafe as she is keeping a good distance so no different to going to the supermarket and being 2m apart from other shoppers and staff restocking shelves
She has no gloves on and no mask... This may aswell be a pre-pandemic photo.

Your expections for pre-cautions are rather low. I must admit.

Getting very relaxed vibe here in England... After losing 40K++ residents, just had an older lady at Lidl begin unloading my shopping to put on the conveyor belt because she thought i was straining my back lmao 😂.

Short memories indeed.... I was like excuse me, please don't touch my shopping.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
She has no gloves on and no mask... This may aswell be a pre-pandemic photo.
But the staff member was social distancing so no different to teachers in schools, for example. I don't see them wearing gloves and masks either
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
But the staff member was social distancing so no different to teachers in schools, for example. I don't see them wearing gloves and masks either
Fair enough, i haven't looked into the guidelines... But from photos we've seen of the reopening of pubs it seemed pretty clear they always all had faceshields on and that... And i guess I've seen european countries have people in masks serving and stuff.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Didn't know as MHoC Speaker you got furloughed :lol:

And don't try and say you have a real life job because no one's buying it, terrible flirting doesn't count as a job :wink2:
Why do you think the cat has been taking more updates recently? 😂😂

Terrible flirting... no idea what you’re talking about mate.
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
She has no gloves on and no mask... This may aswell be a pre-pandemic photo
While a mask would make sense, gloves don’t achieve anything good quality hand hygiene won’t (which someone serving food should be performing) and potentially increase the risk of transmission due to a false sense of security.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Burridge)
The furlough scheme is specifically aimed at protecting jobs and skills that are feeling the brunt of the pandemic. The government is pursuing this option because they believe that the hit to the economy would be far greater without it in place. Making a direct comparison between the 'cheapness' of UC v furlough is short-sighted to say the least.

Please expand on this. As above, the furlough is intended to minimise the impact that lockdown will have on the economy. The alternative seems much more stark.
What's the point of maintaining it? Protecting some yet forcing others to still go to work. Pretty unfair.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (191)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (287)
50.17%
I still don't know (94)
16.43%

Watched Threads