Is Furlough immoral?

Watch
physicsamor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wish i was on furlough I come into contact with so many patients and I just wish I was at home but that can't happen. Furlough is good thing I think we need to keep little places open for now
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
What's the point of maintaining it? Protecting some yet forcing others to still go to work. Pretty unfair.
What is the point of maintaining the economy?

:facepalm2:
Calibrated.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Furlough isn't just a scheme to allow individuals to (hopefully) retain their jobs.

It has prevented the economy from being driven off an even bigger cliff. Without furlough payments, spending in the economy would have fallen dramatically with devastating economic consequences.

The long term impact of this government spending is another matter but that ie what you get with a Conservative government addicted to borrowing.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Furlough should end as millions of other workers have to continue working.
Oh my actual God......:rolleyes:
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pleasantri)
As Universal Credit is cheaper to the taxpayer than £2500 a month in wages for work not being done? These people would then have the incentive to retrain.
Honestly, do you actually have any idea what's just happened?

People didn't ask to be furloughed, their skills are not redundant just not capable of working in the current pandemic. Morals is it moral to let peoples jobs fall off a cliff edge, do we know what morality is?
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Disappointingly large amount of furlough fraud seems to be taking place

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/th...urlough-fraud/

Hasn't happened to me or anyone I know - but if your employer is threatening your job or if you're in the country on a sponsored visa what are you going to say?
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What's the point of maintaining it? Protecting some yet forcing others to still go to work. Pretty unfair.
What's the point of protecting someone's job you have just enforced they dont do. :rolleyes:
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
What's the point of protecting someone's job you have just enforced they dont do. :rolleyes:
Because the pandemic will end and we want to get the economy back up as quickly as possible - which won't happen if experienced people in lucrative sectors have been forced to take entry level jobs in other sectors just to put some bread on the table.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
Because the pandemic will end and we want to get the economy back up as quickly as possible - which won't happen if experienced people in lucrative sectors have been forced to take entry level jobs in other sectors just to put some bread on the table.
I know, I was being sarcastic mate
Calibrated.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
Disappointingly large amount of furlough fraud seems to be taking place

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/th...urlough-fraud/

Hasn't happened to me or anyone I know - but if your employer is threatening your job or if you're in the country on a sponsored visa what are you going to say?
I know several people in the hospitality sector who have been asked to work. They can't realistically say no.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Trotsky's Ghost)
I know several people in the hospitality sector who have been asked to work. They can't realistically say no.
That’s awful
Calibrated.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
That’s awful
But also not surprising. It is a sector notorious for blatantly disregarding rules around employment.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Furlough should end as millions of other workers have to continue working.
Stupid Sunak's daft idea to impovtish us all.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I think furlough as a scheme has saved a number of jobs.
Given it not ended, how can you tell?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
Given it not ended, how can you tell?
Because had it not existed lots of people would already be unemployed.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Because had it not existed lots of people would already be unemployed.
Lots of people have been made unemployed.

Also, you make it sound like furloughed folk are employed. Like the IAG people in a redundancy process. That ain't employment.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
Lots of people have been made unemployed.

Also, you make it sound like furloughed folk are employed. Like the IAG people in a redundancy process. That ain't employment.
I was furloughed and now I'm back to work, had I not been furloughed I would have lost my job because the company would not be able to keep me on when I'm not bringing in any money.
Burridge
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As I explained, the hit to the economy would be far greater without the furlough being in place. That’s the sole reason it’s been introduced. It’s aimed at protecting struggling businesses that are temporarily unable to afford staffing wages because of an artificial drop in demand that the government has created. Now the lockdown is being eased the drop in demand should begin to subside, hence the furlough scheme being slowly phased out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (35)
18.23%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.6%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
54.17%

Watched Threads