Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here studied more than one language at the same time? I am currently studying abroad in France. I started French here from scratch after taking two semesters of Italian back home in the US. When I return to the US, I would liike to continue both French and Italian. Do you think it would be too confusing to study them both at the same time? My major is Linguistics and I am going to minor in French. I am not minoring in Italian, but just want to learn more of it.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    that depends, considering that both languages come from latin you might get some similarities (as in structure of sentences and so on) so I guess that if you're good with languages (which I'm assuming you are, what with taking linguistics and all) that it might not be that hard, then again it might get confusing...

ReputationRep:
    I take French and German for A-level at the minute, and have been learning Spanish just as a leisure course, and I don't mix the languages up, so...! Suppose it just depends on you, but I think most people cope alright with more than one foreign language.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, doing more than one language is fine. I am currently learning French, Italian, Mandarin and Esperanto. Don't ask why I'm doing so many, I just love languages!! The more languages the better!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - i'm doing french and german at uni - and no, it's not confusing. The only thing I would warn people about is that it is often difficult to dedicate equal amounts of time to each language - i have a tendency of doing a lot of indeoendent language work for french when i really ought to spend more time on my german............But hope it works out for you, chuck!

ReputationRep:
    im studying 4 romance languages and am having no problems with confusion, in fact it probably helps. the only things that i sometimes make mistakes with are minor things like and is "i" in one language, "e" in another and "y" in another and stuff like that, and that only really happens when i am writing in the two languages i took up a few months back and im sure it will disappear with practice. go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! i am more confident now...I guess I will sign up for Italian and French next year....man I dont think I'll evr graduate! What four languages are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    the only problem i have had when studdying several languages is that (mostly when i'm tired) i mix them all up. sometimes when writing or speaking some words just come naturally on a language that wasn't intended. but it didn't harm my learning in any way.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2004
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.