Switching to A-levels after a year of doing the IB - a good idea?

Watch
afua12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol maybe/hopefully.
I want to take German and Madarin (/contemporary chinese studies)
AishaUduman
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(this is my frist post on the student room so i don't know if I'm doing it correctly!)
Anyways, I'm doing the same thing -- switching to A-levels in Sri Lanka rather than stick with IB in Hong Kong...I feel my current teachers and the subject matter is really..bad. Plus, I know for certain I won't be using any form of English or Spanish in my future careers, yet I'm forced to take them and spend so much time on them, whilst just passing with a 3 in spanish and a 5/6 in English, which isn't bad in it's own right.
I'm switching mainly because I know I won't score well -- I'm taking HL Art, History and Chemistry. SL Math, Spanish, and English.
I was unable to take Physics OR Economics due to my school's bad organization, which is ridiculous.

My question: Do you think I could do my A-Levels in 1 year? If I take A-Level Math, Chemistry., Physics, and maybe History, would it be possible?
I haven't done Physics beyond GCSE, but I got an A* and I"m willing to spend a lot of time catching up...If it's a lost cause though, then I guess I"m okay with spending the 2 years since I was born in October anyways/.

Any help would be appreciated!
Bozic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I a currently in a private British school and i am taking my A levels, I was thinking of transferring schools to an American high school but i was just wondering if its possible to switch from A levels to IB?
OwenB33
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have been studying IB for years but I will be relocating to UK for my sixth form and I am struggling if I should continue with the last two years of IBDP... I am studying English Lang & Lit, Math, Economics, Math Analysis & Approach, Biology, Films and a Modern Language. As it turns out most schools do not offer Films and the Modern Language which literally forces to pick up another two subjects as substitutes. This really makes me feel if I should convert myself to study A levels instead. The four subjects that most interest me are English, Biology, Economics and Math however my Math grade is 5. People say A level Math is much harder, do you guys think I can handle A level math with IB Math background?
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OwenB33)
I have been studying IB for years but I will be relocating to UK for my sixth form and I am struggling if I should continue with the last two years of IBDP... I am studying English Lang & Lit, Math, Economics, Math Analysis & Approach, Biology, Films and a Modern Language. As it turns out most schools do not offer Films and the Modern Language which literally forces to pick up another two subjects as substitutes. This really makes me feel if I should convert myself to study A levels instead. The four subjects that most interest me are English, Biology, Economics and Math however my Math grade is 5. People say A level Math is much harder, do you guys think I can handle A level math with IB Math background?
you've finished IBY1 right? so you would sit your exams in 2021? are you taking IB maths AA HL or SL? if it's HL, no need to worry about A level maths as from what I know, HL maths covers more topics than A levels (besides mechanics or something like that which is present in A level), if SL, still I think it's doable to change it into A level math.
OwenB33
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by VanillaCream)
you've finished IBY1 right? so you would sit your exams in 2021? are you taking IB maths AA HL or SL? if it's HL, no need to worry about A level maths as from what I know, HL maths covers more topics than A levels (besides mechanics or something like that which is present in A level), if SL, still I think it's doable to change it into A level math.
thanks. i am supposed to go into IBDP Year 1 coming in Sept. I am taking Math AA however it's SL not HL. i am doing well in most of my other subjects but Math is hovering between 5 and 6 and I wonder if I can handle A Level Math if I do a switch.
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OwenB33)
thanks. i am supposed to go into IBDP Year 1 coming in Sept. I am taking Math AA however it's SL not HL. i am doing well in most of my other subjects but Math is hovering between 5 and 6 and I wonder if I can handle A Level Math if I do a switch.
so if you're going to IBY1 and may change to A levels, you will start Y12 so first year of A levels/sixth form this year in September, then, I believe, it doesn't matter if you were supposed to do maths HL or SL as you will start A levels from scratch same as other Y12 students, so there's nothing to worry about
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (53)
21.03%
No (199)
78.97%

Watched Threads