Flat sizes in pollock halls Edinburgh

Watch
Tom2424
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Flat size is a huge deal for me and I can not find this information on Edinburgh website, does anyone know the number of rooms in the flats at pollock halls?
Advertisement
nellybelly29
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pollock Halls is the catered accommodation at Edinburgh, so most of the buildings are set up with single occupancy rooms with shared common rooms or pantries. If you're not in an ensuite room, it can vary as to how many people are sharing bathroom facilities.

If you're wanting self-catered, you won't be at Pollock. You'll be in one of the other accommodations spread around the city. Most of those flats range from 4-6 people sharing one flat, but some halls can have up to 12 people in one flat.
Tom2424
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by nellybelly29)
Pollock Halls is the catered accommodation at Edinburgh, so most of the buildings are set up with single occupancy rooms with shared common rooms or pantries. If you're not in an ensuite room, it can vary as to how many people are sharing bathroom facilities.

If you're wanting self-catered, you won't be at Pollock. You'll be in one of the other accommodations spread around the city. Most of those flats range from 4-6 people sharing one flat, but some halls can have up to 12 people in one flat.
Thank you for the reply. So does the whole of Pollock Halls work the same was as the self-catered accommodation where you stay in flats? I'm mainly looking at ensuite accommodation, so do you happen to know roughly the number of rooms in the ensuite flats at Pollock, if that is how it works.
Advertisement
nellybelly29
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I stayed in self-catered flats as a fresher, not at Pollock so I’m not entirely sure as to the set up in every single building within Pollock, but to my knowledge, many of the en-suite rooms were set up as rooms in a corridor with shared common rooms/pantry facilities. There might be a building that’s set up as a flat system, but I think most are hallways/corridors rather than flats, if that makes sense.

If you go onto the accommodation webpage, there will be specific pages for each building within Pollock that will definitely tell you how many rooms are available in that hall, and I’m sure it would say as well if it’s set up as corridors of rooms or as a flat-system.
elliottharrison
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nellybelly29)
I stayed in self-catered flats as a fresher, not at Pollock so I’m not entirely sure as to the set up in every single building within Pollock, but to my knowledge, many of the en-suite rooms were set up as rooms in a corridor with shared common rooms/pantry facilities. There might be a building that’s set up as a flat system, but I think most are hallways/corridors rather than flats, if that makes sense.

If you go onto the accommodation webpage, there will be specific pages for each building within Pollock that will definitely tell you how many rooms are available in that hall, and I’m sure it would say as well if it’s set up as corridors of rooms or as a flat-system.
Hi, would you recommend any of the self-catered flats? im finding it difficult to decide on which halls, I want somewhere social
Advertisement
nellybelly29
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by elliottharrison)
Hi, would you recommend any of the self-catered flats? im finding it difficult to decide on which halls, I want somewhere social
It's been nearly 5 years since I was a fresher at Edi but I can try and give my insights! Honestly it depends on what kind of social you're looking for, but it also just depends on who ends up living with you in your halls. There are halls that are super close to central campus, Kincaids Court is one of them. It's very close to uni and close to Cowgate where a lot of the clubs are for nightlife, so those halls might be more social in terms of nights out or attending events/club nights at Teviot, since it's so close.

I had friends who stayed at Beaverbank and Murano halls. These are further outside of the city center, maybe 30-40 minute walk to central campus. Because they were so far out, people there really made a little community for themselves. Not sure about Beaverbank, but Murano has common rooms, so there's areas for people to hang about and meet up with people from other flats. And because they were further from uni, they created a little social hub for themselves.

I stayed in Mansion Fountainbridge, which has since changed names and is owned by Unite Students. Not sure if it's still offered as a halls for freshers. It's kinda in the middle, it was maybe 15-20 min from uni. We didn't have a common room but we were pretty social regardless. I'm still friends with people from my halls in first year, which can be unusual.

At the end of the day, I would weigh up your definite wants in halls...do you want ensuite or are you ok sharing? How many flatmates do you want? Do you want a common room? Are you willing to be a bit further away from uni? Those are the most important questions. From there, in my experience, most halls tend to be pretty social, but it depends on the type of halls, your flatmates, etc.

I hope this helped a little, it was a very long-winded answer haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (165)
25%
Better than expected (133)
20.15%
Worse than expected (362)
54.85%

Watched Threads