Continuing into year 13

Watch this thread
ItsmeDUDE
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello so I have a problem, so in my mocks I have gotten: Bio C, Psychology E, Eng Lit B and in Chem U. But throughout the year in Eng Bio and Psychology I am used to getting As ,Bs and in Chem mainly Cs. Plus my target grade is a B in everything. So I am worried that at the end the year due to COVID-19 that they will predict and grade me Cs and Ds so what I'm confused about is if they will allow me to continue into year 13 or if I will have to do a BTEC?
Last edited by ItsmeDUDE; 1 year ago
Azurekalyani
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ItsmeDUDE)
Hello so I have a problem, so in my mocks I have gotten: Bio C, Psychology E, Eng Lit B and in Chem U. But throughout the year in Eng Bio and Psychology I am used to getting As ,Bs and in Chem mainly Cs. Plus my target grade is a B in everything. So I am worried that at the end the year due to COVID-19 that they will predict and grade me Cs and Ds so what I'm confused about is if they will allow me to continue into year 13 or if I will have to do a BTEC?
Mocks are just mocks there not going to be stuck with you forever, and predicted grades, in the end, won't matter, most people don't care about predicted grades it's your REAL grades that count. Im pretty sure you would be allowed to continue to year 13 unless those subjects you're doing aren't a 2-year course then you need to pick another subject to replace the 1-year course for year 13.

BTEC Level 3 is equivalent to A-levels the difference is that BTEC requires more practical work as well as study so if you had to pick BTEC it wouldn't a bad option.

I mean that's how my school goes yours might be different so sorry if this didn't help.
ItsmeDUDE
Rep:
(Original post by Azurekalyani)
Mocks are just mocks there not going to be stuck with you forever, and predicted grades, in the end, won't matter, most people don't care about predicted grades it's your REAL grades that count. Im pretty sure you would be allowed to continue to year 13 unless those subjects you're doing aren't a 2-year course then you need to pick another subject to replace the 1-year course for year 13.

BTEC Level 3 is equivalent to A-levels the difference is that BTEC requires more practical work as well as study so if you had to pick BTEC it wouldn't a bad option.

I mean that's how my school goes yours might be different so sorry if this didn't help.
Thank you so much and yes my courses are 2 years long, but the thing is due to covid the grades they' ll give us will be our actual grade that's why I'm worried as they'll likely base it on mocks.
Azurekalyani
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much and yes my courses are 2 years long, but the thing is due to covid the grades they' ll give us will be our actual grade that's why I'm worried as they'll likely base it on mocks.
yeah thats the problem, this virus. Did you do your exam before lockdown?
ItsmeDUDE
Rep:
(Original post by Azurekalyani)
yeah thats the problem, this virus. Did you do your exam before lockdown?
yes as in my mocks not the actual exam cos they were cancelled
Azurekalyani
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
yes as in my mocks not the actual exam cos they were cancelled
yeah i think they'll give you your actual exam once schools open and THEN you'll get your real grades but id double-check with your head of collage if you're still concerned about this.
Azurekalyani
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The thing I've finished year 13 and i don't know how much change has happened to the exams due to covid, so the teachers and the head of collage have better knowledge on that than me.
ItsmeDUDE
Rep:
Oh ok hopefully everything goes well for you.🤞
username5325486
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
If you’re going to get average grades with 4 a levels would it be worth dropping chemistry and raise your other grades? You’d be more likely to get into a good uni that way. AAB/ABB is better than ABBC/BBBC
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Looks like a mixed bag from what you got in your mock exams - things going relatively alright in Biology and English Lit but not for Psychology and Chemistry. Do you think doing 4 A-Level subjects is a bit too much to handle? If so, perhaps drop down to 3 A-Levels? It's highly likely that based on your mock results, your parents would be contacted for a meeting to discuss your progress and obviously with Covid-19, this would be done via an alternative method, e.g. video calling. Given that your target grade is a B, you'll probably be asked to drop Chemistry but that really depends on what you want to do after Year 13 so you have the better chance of getting the grade you deserve/want.

P.S. With a BTEC, it's roughly a 60:40 split between coursework and exams respectively and of similar rigour to A-Levels.
ItsmeDUDE
Rep:
(Original post by AnonyWally)
If you’re going to get average grades with 4 a levels would it be worth dropping chemistry and raise your other grades? You’d be more likely to get into a good uni that way. AAB/ABB is better than ABBC/BBBC
Yes I was thinking that too, I would like to drop chemistry plus I really don’t like so
ItsmeDUDE
Rep:
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Looks like a mixed bag from what you got in your mock exams - things going relatively alright in Biology and English Lit but not for Psychology and Chemistry. Do you think doing 4 A-Level subjects is a bit too much to handle? If so, perhaps drop down to 3 A-Levels? It's highly likely that based on your mock results, your parents would be contacted for a meeting to discuss your progress and obviously with Covid-19, this would be done via an alternative method, e.g. video calling. Given that your target grade is a B, you'll probably be asked to drop Chemistry but that really depends on what you want to do after Year 13 so you have the better chance of getting the grade you deserve/want.

P.S. With a BTEC, it's roughly a 60:40 split between coursework and exams respectively and of similar rigour to A-Levels.
But when getting my results I don’t think they would allow me to do a BTEC considering that a BTEC takes 2 years to complete? And by the end when I do get my results I will drop chemistry for sure.
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
But when getting my results I don’t think they would allow me to do a BTEC considering that a BTEC takes 2 years to complete? And by the end when I do get my results I will drop chemistry for sure.
A BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (worth 3 A-Levels) would indeed take 2 years to complete but you can do a BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate (worth 1 A-Level) if your school offers it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads