Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need to kick start my diet so what if I eat only 1200 calories a day and walk for an hour? Have two litres of water and lots of fresh food and fibre.... will I lose weight?
    I will be starting work on Tuesday painting so if I cycle to work and paint all day, will I at least lose a few pounds in 4 weeks? I have been at camp eating carbs, carbs and more carbs mixed with cheese.

ReputationRep:
    go find a daily calorific needs calculator on google, put your numbers in and take 1000 off. That could well be 1200, but it's doubtful if you're cycling to and from and doing an active job. That will lose you approximately 2 lbs a week.

P.S. you want a calculator which includes activity, not a BMR calculator.

ReputationRep:
    that's too few calories a day. The result will be that yr metabolism will slow in order to cope with the food shortage and so you'll in fact take longer to lose weight. the recommended allowance for females ( i'm assuming yr female) is 2000 a day. so you need to compromise and make it maybe 1500/1600 a day.

ReputationRep:
    1200 is what the average weight watchers/slimming world dieter has per day...

Yes you will loose weight.....a pound of fat is 3500 calories so if you burn 3500 more calories than you consume then you will loose a pound....for example if you burn around 2000 calories a day at a resting rate (no exercise) and you eat 1000 calories a day for four days then you will have consumed 4000 less calories than you have burned and thus have lost a pound.

People on here know much more about it than me so i'll shh now...but it's all quite basic.

ReputationRep:
    Gah! Eating less calories does not amount to losing weight necessarily.

If you've been eating quite a high calorie diet, as it would appear, then suddenly going to a very low calorie diet, odds are your body will go into "starvation" mode, and rather than lose weight you'll just have less and less energy. I personally wouldn't bother concentrating on calories, rather shift to concentrating on the types of food you're eating and increasing the amount of exercise you do. If you avoid overeating processed carbs (as in more than one meal a day of pasta or bread etc.) and get enough protein, fibre etc etc, along with doing the exercise described, I'd be stunned if you didn't lose weight.

Recently I went interailing around Europe, and, haven't budgeted rather poorly, ate probably around 1,200 calories a day. Being a guy, that's not much, and what with doing quite a lot of walking/touristy type stuff for most of the day, I found myself being exhausted a lot sooner than usual.

ReputationRep:
    Britney spears is reported to have 1200 calories a day. I am short and female so did not think I needed alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by layla_1234)
    I need to kick start my diet so what if I eat only 1200 calories a day and walk for an hour? Have two litres of water and lots of fresh food and fibre.... will I lose weight?
    I will be starting work on Tuesday painting so if I cycle to work and paint all day, will I at least lose a few pounds in 4 weeks? I have been at camp eating carbs, carbs and more carbs mixed with cheese.
    Why be that accurate with water? Drink when you are thirsty and when your urine is highly concentrated. i.e. more yellow.

More to the point:

I think,as countless others also do, that a calorie controlled diet is the only proper way ,along with exercise, to lose weight. So well done for avoiding fad diets. I do ,however, think that you are possibly jumping too far into it. I think you should be more gradual with cutting down your calories and just be careful that you do not overdo it with the cutting down and also with the exercise.

Only thing I am not very sure of at all is the 1200.Seems quite low especially when you consider that 2000 is the recommended amount for women.

Other than that; thumbs up taking steps towards better health.

ps Too much fiber too soon in individuals whose average intake is normally low may produce bloated-ness, abdominal pain, increased 'wind' and possibly diarrhoea. So go easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahrukh24)
    that's too few calories a day. The result will be that yr metabolism will slow in order to cope with the food shortage and so you'll in fact take longer to lose weight. the recommended allowance for females ( i'm assuming yr female) is 2000 a day. so you need to compromise and make it maybe 1500/1600 a day.
    How can you know her basal metabolic rate without any information?

Recommended allowances are stupid for all the obvious reasons.

OP: Theres already plenty advice of this. The wealth of information sticky contains a post about weight gain, read that, apply all the principles from the diet paragraph, except use a calorie deficit. I.e. take 500 from that number rather than adding 500. As opposed to a surplus.

There is also a sticky entitled "weightloss look here first". Look there

ReputationRep:
    Find out you BMR (google for an online calculator) and then take 500 off of it. It takes aprox 3,500 cals to burn a pound of fat, so if you eat 500 less cals a day, and then aim to burn around 500 cals in exercise whether that's full on exercise or walking etc, then you should be looking at around a 1-2lb loss a week, which is what is recommended as a sensible loss.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.