Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My best friend is due to give birth to her first child in a few weeks, so recently I've been bombarded with links to baby name sites etc. I have noticed that quite a few sites have features on the relationship between a persons name and how successful they are in life...and certainly how they are treated by others...

For instance people with 'regal' sounding names like Elizabeth or Charles tend to be treated better by teachers than those with names like Xanya or Romeo...

Just wondering what your guys experiences of 'living with your name' were and whether you think you are greatly affected by your name in terms of how people perceive you without meeting you?

Do you make assumptions based on names?

ReputationRep:
    My name's Jessica and I've never noticed anything advantageous or disadvantageous in having it as a name. So I'm afraid I can't be of much help.

ReputationRep:
    erm, my names Joe.....pretty much no effect whatsoever, but my 2nd name is Lea, so it's nice and quick to write on exams, forms, homework etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm called Jamie, which is pretty standard really.

ReputationRep:
    My name is Gemma. Which means 'gem' or 'ruby' or something like that.

I don't have a lot of problems with my name. Apart from when people spell it with a 'J'.

ReputationRep:
    Daniel. Nice and Biblical...

ReputationRep:
    Louise. I can meet someone 10 times, they recognise me, we chat, and then they call me Lauren, or Laura, or Louisa. Or worse, they say, "Yeah, you look like a Louise..."
    What, I look boring as hell?

At least I dodged Maureen as a first name! Can you imagine... :no:

ReputationRep:
    Samuel.
    I use "Sam" though and it's not effected me.

My middle name is Homer though, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Too many people say my name wrong, I hate it when teachers try and read it off the register without asking how to say it, so I always have to correct them. They all probably think I'm a pedantic ****, but I don't care :p:

ReputationRep:
    kathryn is my name- no problems apart from when people come to spell it. :p:
    Some people shorten it to kat...my grandma shortens it to kate lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Too many people say my name wrong, I hate it when teachers try and read it off the register without asking how to say it, so I always have to correct them. They all probably think I'm a pedantic ****, but I don't care :p:
    DEH-MOH-CRA-SEE
    Did I say it right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Unk)
    DEH-MOH-CRA-SEE
    Did I say it right?
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of an period when my sister wanted to name her dog Sebastian...

Yes, it probably does make a difference. It's quite odd, I go by two names - basically because neither myself nor my parents ever made up their minds - but they're both fairly run of the mill. That said, I feel a bit more formal when people call me by my actual first name.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.. but i've got a pretty standard name, Alison. I like the fact that its not a 'popular name' though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    My name's Jessica and I've never noticed anything advantageous or disadvantageous in having it as a name. So I'm afraid I can't be of much help.
    :ditto: The most I can say for it is that people generally like it, well, Jess anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Well... My nickname is 'Kenny' so... I do get quite a lot of south park references.
    But other than that, it hasn't affected me at all.

ReputationRep:
    my name is Natalie - I go by Nat most of the time.

I can quite honestly tell you it's had no effect (or is it affect? I never know) on my life whatsoever.

Most people on here seem to have quite normal names. Try talking to the poor person that's named Number 16 Bus Shelter and ask the same question!

ReputationRep:
    My name's Benedict. This is not a good name for a child. Honestly.

I'm growing into it, though. another twenty odd years and it'll be great.

ReputationRep:
    My names quite old fashioned but not a horrible one, so older teachers always used to say things like 'arrrr, I had a granny called that' and I was always remembered because no-one ever knew anybody else with my name.

Also my name is often used as a shortened form of other names so people used to ask what it was short for, but it's not short for anything.

ReputationRep:
    I'm called chantal, which i prefer to what i was going to be called(michaela!!), but over the years of christmas cards i have received numerous spellings: chantel, chantelle, chantalle,shantel, shauntail!!!

yeah would've hated michaela just because i have a preconception that all michaela's are skutbags. tho every other chantal i've met has been blonde, myself included

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.