Turn on thread page Beta

how honest should i be with my friend? watch

i need some advice on this. i'll change the people's name and places.

my friend lucy is in a relationship with karl. i'm very good friends with karl and he's told me about his views on relationships before he met lucy. i know that he's cheated on three of his ex-girlfriends and that he generally isn't faithful. i like karl a lot but i hate his attitude when it comes to relationships.

lucy loves karl and she'd do anything for him. she completely changed since she's with karl and i sometimes get the impression that she tries to be like him. karl doesn't spend much time with lucy, which makes her very sad. he hardly ever got in touch with her when she lived with her parents over the summer last year.

still lucy believes karl is the right person for her. she doesn't realise that karl starts to care about her whenever he wants something.

i'm not sure how honest i should be with lucy. i feel like i should tell her the truth. it might hurt a lot but she should know some of the things karl told me. i've never mentioned anything because i feel like it's not fair on karl. lucy constantly wants to speak to me about this and i don't know what to do.

how honest would you be? what the best thing to do as a friend?

ReputationRep:
    Tell her the truth. It may intially cause her to be shocked, even angry; but I think she deserves to know about his unfaithful ways and his general lack-of-affection. I'm sure she'll thank you in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    I have been in this situation adn it never ends well.

You will loose freinds either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mousickle)
    I have been in this situation adn it never ends well.

You will loose freinds either way.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult for you merely because you are friends with both of them. Have you spoken to carl about it and tried telling him to talk to Lucy? Maybe it's also important to tell carl that lucy is your friend too and you don't like keeping information from her. Also you should ask yourself, "which one is more important to me" then decide on that. If you can't decide and like them equally then that is difficult but it's probably best to make them both aware that they need to talk to each other first. If carl is your friend he'll realise what you are going through and then hopefully talk to lucy! It's a difficult and unfortunate situation for you to be in

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I wouldn't get involved, but I'd be there for her when it all goes wrong. When it does all go wrong, don't let her know that you thought it would or say anything along the lines of "I told you so." If you do she may wish you had told her and things could get messier.

ReputationRep:
    Karl is a typical alpha male. They get all the pussy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.