Turn on thread page Beta

forgetfullness!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.. I wanted to see if anyone could either relate to what I sometimes go through or perhaps tell me whats up..

sometimes.. (pretty rare, its only happened a few times before) I forget my name, my age, where I am, what day it is.. what time it is, and what im doing..

Its really scary when it happens and I recover pretty quickly.. but it still scares the crap outta me..

I dont have to be doing anything to trigger it but when it happens I just forget things and end up asking where am I and what day is it again and also like what am I doing? the symptoms all happen together usually.. I end up like panicking and asking people around me what day it is or what time it is etc..

I have dyslexia.. and I believe mild dyspraxia too.. but Ive asked a friend who has aspergers syndrome(he checks these types of things all the time) and he didnt have any idea either..

please help

ReputationRep:
    Urm that's abit out of the ordinary
    I advise you to tell your GP about this.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, go to your GP, as this could be dangerous if it happens to you when you're not in a safe place with people who know you. It could be any number of things, including carbon monoxide poisoning, which most doctors won't think to test you for. But it really could be anything! Get checked out. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S Pauls)
    I have dyslexia too, it not relly much of a prodlem for me though, how would that cause you to forget thinds?
    i havent a clue.. I hear that my little cousin has like dyslexia and ADHD and when my anty tells him to do something sometimes he forgets.. it gets him into a bit of trouble sometimes and becomes really frustrated by it.. its the same for me.. my dad sometimes has to tell me things over and over.. just to make it stick in my head.. but it doesnt happen very often

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystic Megs)
    Yeah, go to your GP, as this could be dangerous if it happens to you when you're not in a safe place with people who know you. It could be any number of things, including carbon monoxide poisoning, which most doctors won't think to test you for. But it really could be anything! Get checked out. x
    wow.. erm thats pretty scary.. damn.. erm I cant see a doctor because like the area I live in is a pretty massive area.. and appointments are extremely hard to get.. I have also read a thread about hypo gylcemia..perhaps that being the cause.. I mean when I walk sometimes my legs ache and my feet hurt and I can sometimes feel a bit unbalanced.. I produce music too and regularly listen to it really loud.. which could be the cause of a few of my problems.. but like I said before.. my little cousin has the same problem.. he has dyslexia and ADHD and when his mum tells him to say hang his coat up sometimes he doesnt because he forgets too.. all I know is that the problem is scary when it happens.. I mean it doesnt happen often but when it does it is pretty damn scary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocker_C)
    wow.. erm thats pretty scary.. damn.. erm I cant see a doctor because like the area I live in is a pretty massive area.. and appointments are extremely hard to get.. I have also read a thread about hypo gylcemia..perhaps that being the cause.. I mean when I walk sometimes my legs ache and my feet hurt and I can sometimes feel a bit unbalanced.. I produce music too and regularly listen to it really loud.. which could be the cause of a few of my problems.. but like I said before.. my little cousin has the same problem.. he has dyslexia and ADHD and when his mum tells him to say hang his coat up sometimes he doesnt because he forgets too.. all I know is that the problem is scary when it happens.. I mean it doesnt happen often but when it does it is pretty damn scary
    There's only one doctor you can go to?

ReputationRep:
    As far as you know, are you diabetic and/or are any of your family members diabetic either? How old are you? How long has this been going on? And do you have any other symptoms that would suggest hypoglycemia? e.g. Dizziness, numbness, feeling of light-headed, pounding headaches?

Hope you don't mind all those questions Just thought they'd help shed some light

AH.

ReputationRep:
    Come on, that's not an excuse! You can go to a walk in NHS clinic, just google them. You don't need an appointment for those.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm mthat sounds pretty bad, practically forgetting your identity for a few minutes must be scary, inconveinent and maybe even embarassing...

Why not try the NHS self help guide
    http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/help/bodykey/
    it might give you an idea of what might be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lithium)
    As far as you know, are you diabetic and/or are any of your family members diabetic either? How old are you? How long has this been going on? And do you have any other symptoms that would suggest hypoglycemia? e.g. Dizziness, numbness, feeling of light-headed, pounding headaches?

Hope you don't mind all those questions Just thought they'd help shed some light

AH.

funny you mention a few of these things.. sometimes I do get a bit like unsteady.. but I dont feel dizzy I just feel as though I may fall over slightly.. but this never happens when Im going through these forgetfull "episodes".. I do believe that my mothers family (her cousins) have diabetes.. but I ont think I have other wise the opometrist would have picked that up during muy eye exam just the other week.. erm I rarely get headaches though..

I also thought it could be ADHD.. I mean a few of my symptoms are similar to those ones.. like I loose interest very quickly usually and have to fidget a lot.. theres a few more too..

ReputationRep:
    ooh sorry forgot.. lol.. no wasnt taking the mick then.. lol.. I'm 19 years old and this forgetfullness has been going on pretty much as far as I can remember really. but up until say a few months before christmas I hadnt experienced one of those forgetful episodes realy.. well not one where I couldnt remember who I was or where I was anyway..

I also always when Im trying to recall my two sister's ages I forget and sometimes say that theyre younger or older.. its totally weird..

ReputationRep:
    ooh sorry forgot.. lol.. no wasnt taking the mick then.. lol.. I'm 19 years old and this forgetfullness has been going on pretty much as far as I can remember really. but up until say a few months before christmas I hadnt experienced one of those forgetful episodes realy.. well not one where I couldnt remember who I was or where I was anyway..

I also always when Im trying to recall my two sister's ages I forget and sometimes say that theyre younger or older.. its totally weird..
    I was asking those questions to rule out HypoG. I think you need to go and see a professional. I don't think you can, or will for that matter, get a reliable diagnosis over the internet.

AH

ReputationRep:
    I've been getting this recently, but nowhere near as seriously as you have. I have manic periods, and then I forget some of the things I've done during those periods. That's been the case for years. The recent things seem to be similar to yours, but I don't really forget things about myself. I forget things I've said and things others have done. I think I'm going to get myself checked out soon, so there's no doubt that you should as its much more serious. Is it something most of the people you know know about, or do you try and hide it? If the latter I can understand your hesitance in getting it looked at, but remember that the GP will never tell people if you don't want him/her to. It's still going to take a lot of willpower to go, but I think you should.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't get this :s:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synagogue)
    I've been getting this recently, but nowhere near as seriously as you have. I have manic periods, and then I forget some of the things I've done during those periods. That's been the case for years. The recent things seem to be similar to yours, but I don't really forget things about myself. I forget things I've said and things others have done. I think I'm going to get myself checked out soon, so there's no doubt that you should as its much more serious. Is it something most of the people you know know about, or do you try and hide it? If the latter I can understand your hesitance in getting it looked at, but remember that the GP will never tell people if you don't want him/her to. It's still going to take a lot of willpower to go, but I think you should.

I told my best friend just the other day, but I dont think ive told my dad yet. I keep meaning to but he's always working or asleep tired from working.. lol..

I often forget things I say too.. but tend to remember most things really. I mean this forgetfullness has only happened majorly like I describe 2/3 times before.. but thats 2/3 times too many really isnt it.. I should go see a doctor.. maybe go and chat to one when I get to uni or something..

I also have like a phoebia of doctors.. my grandad passed away outside of a doctors surgery you see.. seems pretty stupid to be scared of but I hate doctors.. I tryed to book an appointment just the other day and they said they were totally booked up for like a month or so.. it really is stupid.. but I live in a crowded area..

ReputationRep:
    I told my best friend just the other day, but I dont think ive told my dad yet. I keep meaning to but he's always working or asleep tired from working.. lol..

I often forget things I say too.. but tend to remember most things really. I mean this forgetfullness has only happened majorly like I describe 2/3 times before.. but thats 2/3 times too many really isnt it.. I should go see a doctor.. maybe go and chat to one when I get to uni or something..

I also have like a phoebia of doctors.. my grandad passed away outside of a doctors surgery you see.. seems pretty stupid to be scared of but I hate doctors.. I tryed to book an appointment just the other day and they said they were totally booked up for like a month or so.. it really is stupid.. but I live in a crowded area..
    What was your friend's reaction? Are you not telling most people because you don't want to or because you think it's unimportant?

I dunno. I think we've all forgotten our siblings ages momentarily. I know I have trouble remembering my Dad's age. My name's nice and easy because she's fifty (no, not an innuendo!) so that's easy enough. Before my brother turned sixteen I'd have trouble remembering whether he was fourteen or fifteen. If it's not a really regular occurrence I'd say it's not that big a deal really. If it really has only happened three times in your life then that's nothing major - everyone has weird blank spells. So you need to work out just how much it is happening and judge how important and memorable these things are. (Obviously your name is a fairly vital piece of personal identity-related information.)

Fair enough to have a fear of them, but again, willpower. They can't possibly be booked up for a month. Your local GP will have a ten minute slot somewhere. Just try again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synagogue)
    What was your friend's reaction? Are you not telling most people because you don't want to or because you think it's unimportant?

I dunno. I think we've all forgotten our siblings ages momentarily. I know I have trouble remembering my Dad's age. My name's nice and easy because she's fifty (no, not an innuendo!) so that's easy enough. Before my brother turned sixteen I'd have trouble remembering whether he was fourteen or fifteen. If it's not a really regular occurrence I'd say it's not that big a deal really. If it really has only happened three times in your life then that's nothing major - everyone has weird blank spells. So you need to work out just how much it is happening and judge how important and memorable these things are. (Obviously your name is a fairly vital piece of personal identity-related information.)

Fair enough to have a fear of them, but again, willpower. They can't possibly be booked up for a month. Your local GP will have a ten minute slot somewhere. Just try again.
    Hi..

Erm my friends reaction.. well he was pretty shocked.. I mean he looks into these types of things all the time and he couldnt put his finger on what it was.. I dont like telling most people really because I would feel like a plonker.. its ok talking to people on here who may never meet you, but id be afraid of people judging me I guess ye.. calling me names and stuff..

I guess its pretty fair to forget my sisters age then.. must be pretty normal..

I came on here and asked this one question because I was lying in bed the other night and it happened then.. I started asking myself how old I was.. like was I 18 or 19.. then I just started to panick again really then it went and I remembered I was 19.. its really weird when it happens.. scary too..

the other time I can recall it happening was at college one day.. a friday and I just stood there after my class has ended at 4pm and like started getting really confused.. you know like how old am I? and like what day is it? what time is it? why am I here? who am I?

that was really scary.. but a few friends like took care of me..

I really have no idea what it is.. I usually forget things... like how to spell words and like if my dad asks me to do some cleaning up I may just forget totally.. and I end up getting shouted at.. but must be pretty normal to be like this I guess... maybe..?? lol..

No.. its true about my GP.. he's on holiday so theres only like 3 or 4 other doctors available and theyre all booked up for a month.. its insane..

ReputationRep:
    Hi..

Erm my friends reaction.. well he was pretty shocked.. I mean he looks into these types of things all the time and he couldnt put his finger on what it was.. I dont like telling most people really because I would feel like a plonker.. its ok talking to people on here who may never meet you, but id be afraid of people judging me I guess ye.. calling me names and stuff..

I guess its pretty fair to forget my sisters age then.. must be pretty normal..

I came on here and asked this one question because I was lying in bed the other night and it happened then.. I started asking myself how old I was.. like was I 18 or 19.. then I just started to panick again really then it went and I remembered I was 19.. its really weird when it happens.. scary too..

the other time I can recall it happening was at college one day.. a friday and I just stood there after my class has ended at 4pm and like started getting really confused.. you know like how old am I? and like what day is it? what time is it? why am I here? who am I?

that was really scary.. but a few friends like took care of me..

I really have no idea what it is.. I usually forget things... like how to spell words and like if my dad asks me to do some cleaning up I may just forget totally.. and I end up getting shouted at.. but must be pretty normal to be like this I guess... maybe..?? lol..

No.. its true about my GP.. he's on holiday so theres only like 3 or 4 other doctors available and theyre all booked up for a month.. its insane..

Okay. Well, he might be looking too deeply into it which has now affected how much you're looking into it as well. I'd tell someone else who doesn't have such a propensity to look at things in such detail - someone more rational, who will look at the situation from a more objective point of view.

It does sound like you might have some kind of memory issue, but it might also be because it's on your mind all the time. Regularity is very important here. If it starts to happen more frequently, whether through you bringing that on yourself by worrying or through it actually being a medical issue you need to get it checked.

The instance after your lesson sounds a bit like you started to panic after forgetting the first few things. This happens to me a lot as well, and you need to try and look at things again. This is incredibly hard though, so I feel for you. :hugs:

Forgetting to do chores? Meh, who cares? I think that's probably because you were distracted, no? Maybe write these things down for yourself next time.

And alright, maybe go to a different GP if it gets a little worse and starts to worry you more. Or go in with a book, sit there reading it and wait for someone else not to turn up to an appointment. I don't know how much that happens, but the receptionist and my local gets really pissed off about it, so it must be happening a fair amount.

Good luck getting things sorted for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    You should never ordinarily forget who you are - or your age/home - given that these things are etched into your mind in burning white flames by you, yourself!

Id say you should talk to a doctor. Minor things are excusable, but this like..not minor, really

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.. I wanted to see if anyone could either relate to what I sometimes go through or perhaps tell me whats up..

sometimes.. (pretty rare, its only happened a few times before) I forget my name, my age, where I am, what day it is.. what time it is, and what im doing..

Its really scary when it happens and I recover pretty quickly.. but it still scares the crap outta me..

I dont have to be doing anything to trigger it but when it happens I just forget things and end up asking where am I and what day is it again and also like what am I doing? the symptoms all happen together usually.. I end up like panicking and asking people around me what day it is or what time it is etc..

I have dyslexia.. and I believe mild dyspraxia too.. but Ive asked a friend who has aspergers syndrome(he checks these types of things all the timite) and he didnt have any idea either..

please help

I regularly cant remember where i am or what im doing. I cant remember what i did yesterday or even 10 minutes ago though. Or i find things familiar even though ive never been there before. Its strange.
    If your worried go get sorted.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.