Can you reapply to Oxbrisge after achieving 3 A *s?

Watch
Anisha23456789
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

Just wondering, could you reapply to Oxbridge after achieiving your A Level Results?

So Lets say I am currently predicted DDD for my A Level Grades and this time next year I work my self hard and outweigh those predictions and score A star A star A star A star in Maths,Physics and Chemistry, can I reapply to Oxbridge for 2022 Entry?

Do I have to take a gap year to apply again?

Also,I heard that very few courses for Engineering are there for Adjustment and the top Unis dont take part in Adjustment,Extra and Clearing.

Please advise.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anisha23456789)
So Lets say I am currently predicted DDD for my A Level Grades and this time next year I work my self hard and outweigh those predictions and score A star A star A star A star in Maths,Physics and Chemistry, can I reapply to Oxbridge for 2022 Entry?
The point is the likelihood of going from DDD to A*A*A* in a year is vanishingly small. So small in fact that it just wouldn't happen.
Anisha23456789
Rep:
?
Wow..that sure did give me so thought...thanks once again fir your encouragement.
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, you could - I know a few people who reapplied after A levels and got in. But you would need to reevaluate your study strategies and work your socks off this yer to go up that much. Still, if you dedicate yourself to it, there's no reason why not. If you'd like some help with study tips etc, feel free to dm me - I'm really interested in memory theories etc so hopefully I might be able to help x
Last edited by redmeercat; 1 month ago
rudemcdude
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you a Year 12? Because if you work hard and talk to your teachers about wanting to apply to Oxbridge, I’m sure they’ll help you to apply for 2021 entry. If you’re serious about it, I doubt there’d be a problem - maybe some convincing them that you’re dedicated, but you should be able to apply normally without a gap year.
If you don’t get in one year though, there’s no reason you can’t apply in the next cycle once you’ve finished your A levels. If you don’t get an offer in the year you’re doing your A levels, no you can’t apply again in the same year once you’ve got results.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can in technicality but as RC said the concern should be whether you can go up from DDD to A*A*A*. (especially considering teachers often predict generously as opposed to harshly) I would consider whether this is really a realistic goal you should occupy yourself with. Aim to get your Ds up to Bs and Cs first, then work from there.

It's important to consider why you're getting Ds at the moment.
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want to apply for Engineering you really ought to have Further Maths. Even with 3A* grades in your subjects you are less competitive without Further Maths.

But I also echo the other comments about how realistic it is to make that kind of improvement... Guess it depends on personal circumstances but if it's just you're struggling with the subjects that's not a good sign.
Anisha23456789
Rep:
?
I am struggling with the subjects...I guess thats why I have received DDD for my predictions.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am struggling with the subjects...I guess thats why I have received DDD for my predictions.
It's obviously good to aim high, but I think what we're all trying to say is that it needs to be realistically high in order not to set up false expectation or disappointment. The most important thing is to seek help with your subjects in order to get to grips with the material and improve your performance from its current state. It might be worth thinking about what universities and courses you could apply for if you got, say BCC or CCC - I'm sure there are loads.
FRS500
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From DDD to A*A*A* is quite the tall order... like a seriously tall order.

But it's not impossible. You'll have to look into why you're pulling the grades you are now; change tact a little (or a lot) in your studies and hopefully build a good base to progress from.

The advice that others are giving isn't negative or meant to be discouraging. It's intended to be realistic.
I'm not being funny but if you are struggling with the basics at A-level, how are you going to cope with Oxbridge?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Just wondering, could you reapply to Oxbridge after achieiving your A Level Results?

Do I have to take a gap year to apply again?

Also,I heard that very few courses for Engineering are there for Adjustment and the top Unis dont take part in Adjustment,Extra and Clearing.

Please advise.
Where to start,
Yes you can apply. (you'll need to keep the maths ability sharp tho)
DDD>A*A*A* seems unlikely to me

Well taking a year out to re-apply is a gap year... but you can call it what you want.

Not sure why you heard there are very few clearing/adjustment courses for engineering. This is wrong engineering typically has very large cohorts oftern 200/300 students and unis will offer EEE, mechanical, aero, chemical & civil and most unis do it, so there ends up being a fair few. BUT you will have to act fast as the places move and are first come, first served.

Also unless you are applying for general engineering I tend to recommend looking outside of Oxbridge (if you want to be a practising engineer in industry).
Anisha23456789
Rep:
?
My parents and my subject teachers have throughout the year stated that Im not very open and that I dont ask and talk to much in class or communicate to them (parents/subject teachers) or to my friends and subject peers.

In fact onr of Physics teacher said that I have 'dyslexia 'when it comes to Science Practicals in such that I cant picture and figure out how to place the diagram of the Experimental Practical into real life practicality in a required practical scenario.

I have been generally deemed as a 'silent/quiet person' and a person who 'doesnt ask help at the right time and doesnt seem to understand which areas of aspects of subjects that I am struggling with and that I am very 'closed by nature'.

I have tried to work on my self since the start of January 2020 but I have been conatantly receiving criticism from everyone and advise, such that it is really confusing for me for whome to follow. When I am following according to someone's advise in acting and pulling up those grades, none of the advise doesnt seem to work and I just feel less confident with myself and have less self esteem.
Anisha23456789
Rep:
?
Im just so confused now....I have tried to actually follow someone's advise and gone by their recommeded action plan for me,hiwever this hasnt worked.

I feel I should not at all apply for UCAS Application and withdraw everything.

I have given up hope and confidence in my self such that I can go from a DDD to BBB then to 3 A *s at A Level Results Day.

Please suggest what I can do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (20)
20.83%
Better than expected (21)
21.88%
Worse than expected (55)
57.29%

Watched Threads