russelmr27
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, my daughter suspended her Adult nursing course due to serious medical condition for 5 months. now she has resumed, SFE are deducting £1200 of £7500 as a penalty for not completing a minimum 40 weeks of her 44 week academic year, is this correct. I can find no such rule anywhere on the Internet!
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by russelmr27)
Hi, my daughter suspended her Adult nursing course due to serious medical condition for 5 months. now she has resumed, SFE are deducting £1200 of £7500 as a penalty for not completing a minimum 40 weeks of her 44 week academic year, is this correct. I can find no such rule anywhere on the Internet!
Hi, it's not a penalty. Students are only eligible for funding for the time in attendance. If we were only made aware of her suspension after she received a payment then it sounds like she was overpaid. You should also make sure the university have told us that it was for health reasons as this can lower the overpayment amount.
Thanks, Isaac
russelmr27
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, it's not a penalty. Students are only eligible for funding for the time in attendance. If we were only made aware of her suspension after she received a payment then it sounds like she was overpaid. You should also make sure the university have told us that it was for health reasons as this can lower the overpayment amount.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Issac, thanks. Overpayments have already been sorted. I am assuming we deduct course suspension timeout (less holidays) from length of this course year which is 44 weeks. she missed 15 weeks of the 44 weeks, so I assume 15/44th of the full year maintenance loan is deducted? She was also awarded 60 days (assuming calendar days) as suspension was for medical reasons. Thanks.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi Issac, thanks. Overpayments have already been sorted. I am assuming we deduct course suspension timeout (less holidays) from length of this course year which is 44 weeks. she missed 15 weeks of the 44 weeks, so I assume 15/44th of the full year maintenance loan is deducted? She was also awarded 60 days (assuming calendar days) as suspension was for medical reasons. Thanks.
For example if a student receives a payment on the 10th January which lasts until the end of term 2(lets say 01/04/2020) but then in February the university contacts us a tell us the student suspended on the 20th January, that means the student was only eligible for that funding for 10 days and they will have an overpayment from funding they were ineligible for from 20/01 to 01/04. Those dates were an example to provide a scenario. If she was awarded 60 days extra funding then in my scenario above, the student would be eligible for funding for 60 days after the 20/01.
Thanks, Isaac
russelmr27
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
For example if a student receives a payment on the 10th January which lasts until the end of term 2(lets say 01/04/2020) but then in February the university contacts us a tell us the student suspended on the 20th January, that means the student was only eligible for that funding for 10 days and they will have an overpayment from funding they were ineligible for from 20/01 to 01/04. Those dates were an example to provide a scenario. If she was awarded 60 days extra funding then in my scenario above, the student would be eligible for funding for 60 days after the 20/01.
Thanks, Isaac
hi Issac, I think you are agreeing with my thoughts. You are paid pro rota for study days attended (29 weeks of 44 week full yr as 15 weeks suspended) * full year maintenance loan amount. Please confirm if true (Or otherwise) then my query has been answered, thanks in advance.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hi Issac, I think you are agreeing with my thoughts. You are paid pro rota for study days attended (29 weeks of 44 week full yr as 15 weeks suspended) * full year maintenance loan amount. Please confirm if true (Or otherwise) then my query has been answered, thanks in advance.
Yes - you're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (95)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.17%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.88%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
29.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise