The Student Room Group

Would you start a family with a woman who could not cook?

Before all you male feminists go on one, first here the scenario (and remember this is the real world not CooKoo Land)

You are working full-time mon-fri 9-5, your wife is a stay at home mother getting the kids off to school and doing general home duties. She can’t cook, all she can do is put processed food in the oven which she often burns. You now have to come home and cook food every night after work or no one gets fed..

Would you put up with this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I hope you realize that many woman work. You say 'real world' as if to imply that all woman stay home all day :rolleyes:
I would just teach her on the weekends how to cook
Why don't you teach her to cook? Not everyone automatically has these skills without someone showing them first.
I would either teach her to cook or we switch places.
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Before all you male feminists go on one, first here the scenario (and remember this is the real world not CooKoo Land)

You are working full-time mon-fri 9-5, your wife is a stay at home mother getting the kids off to school and doing general home duties. She can’t cook, all she can do is put processed food in the oven which she often burns. You now have to come home and cook food every night after work or no one gets fed..

Original post by markova21
Why don't you teach her to cook? Not everyone automatically has these skills without someone showing them first.

I think all people should know basics, and it doesn't take much effort to learn simple things. Just a browse on the internet.

I'd be a bit disenchanted if after knowing her for a year for example, she still can't put together anything better than warming up pre-cooked things for example.

Edit: though it'd be nicer to teach her, I wanted to add. But still, my main point was it does not that a whole load of effort really.
My son's dad was a brilliant cook. Could rustle up anything and make it amazing. He used to teach me things; how to make my own sauces from scratch, etc. I appreciated his help and it was often a nice bonding exercise for the two of us that was also a bit of fun.
I can't cook for **** so this'd be a recipe for disaster regardless of this "gender roles" bs.
No.
I wouldn't even date someone that couldn't cook.
Original post by markova21
My son's dad was a brilliant cook. Could rustle up anything and make it amazing. He used to teach me things; how to make my own sauces from scratch, etc. I appreciated his help and it was often a nice bonding exercise for the two of us that was also a bit of fun.

My hubby and I are like this too. He cooks for himself and his family when I’m not there.

It’s good to get the cookathon on together😊

On the other hand, would I marry a guy who can't cook? In my case both of us will work so we'll have to both contribute.
lol you realize that the average man chooses a woman for her looks right? You men can deny it as much as you want but I have 4 brothers, 7 uncles from both parents side and like 7 male cousins as well as male friends. And whilst men LOVE to talk about how their 'ideal' woman is (as Eminem says) a good looking woman who cooks and cleans, realistically their number 1 demand is ATTRACTIVE. If he finds her attractive, he wants her. Even if shes the worst cook, even if shes the most bi*chiest woman or the most useless woman, even if shes mind numbingly stupid. Heck even if shes a criminal, he don't care. If his pee-pee wants her he wants her and he will turn into the biggest simp for her and will make all the excuses in the world for her.

Do a poll and see. Ask guys if they had to choose between:

Good looks + can't cook
vs
Ugly + amazing cook

which one will win. I already know the answer...
I mean the real question is, will you be able to find a partner/wife with that 13th century mindset? Even if a woman isn’t working, I don’t see why you expect her to cook for you?? There’s hundreds of other jobs in the house and looking after kids isn’t a walk in the park. Cook your own dang food.
Reply 14

In the real world I'd be questioning why a man CHOSE to marry a woman he knew couldn't cook when that was clearly a big deal for him?

If he wanted her to do that for him - but knew she couldn't - and was STILL dumb enough to marry her then quite frankly he DESERVES to put up with that. Next time think with your head fellas, not your D.... but you rarely do.
IMO there is no such thing as someone who can't cook - unless they are dyslexic or physically disabled in a way that means they physically can't cook.
There are people who WON'T cook. People who refuse to learn, people who hate cooking, people who aren't bothered about food as something pleasurable to eat, but regard it as fuel.

I live to eat, I don't eat to live. I would not live with someone who is too lazy to learn to cook proper food. There are so many resources available online - recipes and videos, and on TV. There is no excuse to not be able to cook.
Original post by L'anatra.M
On the other hand, would I marry a guy who can't cook? In my case both of us will work so we'll have to both contribute.

Well there would likely be restrictions as kids will need picking up from school etc doubt you could both work fulltime, unless you use child care..
Original post by Nautilus
IMO there is no such thing as someone who can't cook - unless they are dyslexic or physically disabled in a way that means they physically can't cook.
There are people who WON'T cook. People who refuse to learn, people who hate cooking, people who aren't bothered about food as something pleasurable to eat, but regard it as fuel.

I live to eat, I don't eat to live. I would not live with someone who is too lazy to learn to cook proper food. There are so many resources available online - recipes and videos, and on TV. There is no excuse to not be able to cook.

Cooking is a skill though
Original post by DiddyDec
I wouldn't even date someone that couldn't cook.

Why not?
I'm not a guy but if I was, and I was working all day while the wifey was home, then yes I would expect some edible food, and expect her to use youtube, find some easy food blogs and follow the recipes, and cook decent meal a few times a week. Maybe I'd be lenient at the beginning but I would get sick of it quickly if she didn't try to make meals. Maybe I would send her to my mothers to learn, at least a few meals.

Why are you asking such a question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending