Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I’m just wondering does anyone have any experience themselves of reapplying to universities after exceeding their predicted grades. I am considering this but have been warned by a careers advisor that there is a big risk the universities may reject me even with 3 as at a level and an a in as because they don’t like applicants who reapply. Just wondering how true this is. Any information would be great.

Justine xxx

ReputationRep:
    It's not true. "They don't like applicants who reapply" is the most crazy thing I've ever heard. So that means so many thousands of applicants each year who get in second or third time round, should just not bother?
    Reapplicants have these advantages:

- They have more life skills and are more independant, from having to get by for a year, usually with paid work etc.
    - Their offers can be set in stone if necessary (unconditional) because they have their A level results already.
    - They will be more dedicated to doing the course and less likely to drop out, if they've already failed to get into a course once, and tried all year only to reapply again for the same course. These people are dedicated and are so unlikely to drop out; a good thing for the university.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i thought what the careers advisor said sounded weird, she agreed she didn't understand the logic behind it in the cases she had dealt with though. x

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure your Career Advisor understood you already have AAA at A-level?
    i.e. many top unis want you to get your A-levels in 1 sitting.
    i.e. no retakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XJustineX)
    Hey, I’m just wondering does anyone have any experience themselves of reapplying to universities after exceeding their predicted grades. I am considering this but have been warned by a careers advisor that there is a big risk the universities may reject me even with 3 as at a level and an a in as because they don’t like applicants who reapply. Just wondering how true this is. Any information would be great.

Justine xxx
    Paulwhy is right, the distinction is between re-applying and re-sitting. Some unis do not care for the latter; none of them is bothered about the former (unless of course you managed to make yourself really unpopular for some reason and the Admissions Tutor remembers you ).

What your Careers Adviser may have been trying, however inelegantly, to convey is that even with AAA success is not guaranteed. It depends on the course, and also on the general strength of your application because grades on their own are not enough for most things, especially at the top end. There have been people on here who have re-applied - with good grades, got first time round - for subjects like History and English who have ended up with more rejections than offers.

The judgement you have to make - and only you can do it - is whether you are happy to take the risk that you might end up no better off, or even, worse off, than you are now. If you like the uni and the course you already have a place for, think very carefully before giving it up.

ReputationRep:
    The judgement you have to make - and only you can do it - is whether you are happy to take the risk that you might end up no better off, or even, worse off, than you are now. If you like the uni and the course you already have a place for, think very carefully before giving it up.
    The OP's other post makes it clear that s/he has reservations about accepting a place at Kent to read English.

As long as s/he follows the usual advice about having a couple of unis that are within reach rather than stretch targets, and assuming that PS and reference are strong, I really can't see how she would be worse off. Even for a highly competitive subject like English.

S/he could even re-apply to Kent as one of the five choices.

ReputationRep:
    For completeness here is the OP's other (extensive) thread:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=652065

ReputationRep:
    Yeah she specifically warned me that from her experience top unis don’t seem to accept many applicants who are reapplying and gave the case of one girl with straight as and a good ps etc who struggled to find a place after reapplying. However as you said she may also have been trying to express the difficulty of getting in, even with straight a’s. She suggested ringing up the uni’s and asking about the chance of them excepting me next year with the grades I have etc.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.