What does it mean to be British?

Watch
Have Your Say
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
"Britishness" should be celebrated with a special day, according to the government. What does being British mean and should it be commemorated on an annual basis?

The August Bank Holiday has been suggested as a possible "Britishness" day by the Home Office minister Liam Byrne.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown - who revealed this month that he is preparing to write a book on what it means to be British - says it is all about shared values.

Monday's Panorama, True Brits, explores Britishness, speaking to a range of people including fashion designer Vivienne Westwood and BNP leader Nick Griffin.

What does being British really mean? Have you recently become a British citizen? What are the best aspects of being British? What is the worst thing about being British?

Read the full story (on the BBC website)
ILILILILIL
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Britishness: Getting drunk, eatin a sloppy kebab and stumbling home i'd say.

I'm not really sure.

..this has made me think. I'll post again after a few replies.
batman_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
British

Or this
MSB
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think a "Britishness day" isn't very British.
QI Elf
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think being able/ prepaired to standing in a queue all day and not getting annoyed/ wanting to punch people in the head. Or maybe thats just me. I LOVE queuing!!
AWZC
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Driving in your German car using petrol from the middle east to work for an American company, coming back home, drinking tea from china, watching your TV from japan, then going out to the pub to drink beer from denmark before grabbing a kebab, chinese or indian..... And of course, complaining about all things foreign whilst at it
Monkey Boy Ste
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How can a Bank Holiday that the whole of Great Britain don't have, be constituted as 'Britishness' day?
sophie-d
Report 12 years ago
dodgy fake tan
artorscience?
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Monkey Boy Ste)
How can a Bank Holiday that the whole of Great Britain don't have, be constituted as 'Britishness' day?
That's what I was thinking, until I decided that it might represent the differences in Britain...
Monkey Boy Ste
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by artorscience?)
That's what I was thinking, until I decided that it might represent the differences in Britain...
Shush, let's pretend we're right. :p:
ChicaBonita
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Being rude when on holiday, shouting at the natives instead of trying to communicate in at least a couple of words of the native language, complaining...
BTW I don't like this whole "British" thing.
The Scottish can say they're Scottish, the Welsh can say they're Welsh, but the English can't say they're English without having to apologise.
I'm English, goddamnit, and proud :p:
Bagration
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So sry, 'Britishness' day will be full of ******** like O HAY GUISE WERE MULTICULTURAL NOW or THE EUROPEAN UNION IS OUR FUTURE. The most 'British' day I can think of is November 11th, but I really don't agree that we should have some day to celebrate our national character. That's very American/French and our national character died in 1945 anyway so I don't see what we have left to celebrate. A 'British History' day where we remember our national history, like, you know, pretty much creating Liberalism, Parliament Democracy, the Rule of Law, stopping the Spanish Armada, Napoleon, the Kaiser, Hitler, and keeping the Soviet bear in check would probably be better, but that would likely be construed as racism.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Have Your Say)
"Britishness" should be celebrated with a special day, according to the government. What does being British mean and should it be commemorated on an annual basis?
Well actually it was supposed to represent all identities in Britain and be far more embracing that is suggested - but unlike the average BBC toss-pot, I actually read the report on it.

The August Bank Holiday has been suggested as a possible "Britishness" day by the Home Office minister Liam Byrne.
Months ago. **** idea, as the SNP pointed out, the August Bank Holiday isn't a UK-wide holiday.

If they chose to make Trafalgar Day or something a public holiday, I'd be all for that - but I don't want to invent some ****ing ridiculous nonsense for nothing.

What does being British really mean? Have you recently become a British citizen? What are the best aspects of being British? What is the worst thing about being British?
1. It's a nationality. It means either being a British citizen, or being in contact with British culture. Simple. It doesn't mean some set of values or any of that crap - "fair play" indeed... you can be British and be a total ******* too.
2. Villages.
3. Not a lot really. The people aren't involved enough in their communities is about the best answer I can think of.
CHAMON
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Queen, Shakepeare, Austen, Union Jack, Rain.
El Hosko
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ChicaBonita)
BTW I don't like this whole "British" thing.
The Scottish can say they're Scottish, the Welsh can say they're Welsh, but the English can't say they're English without having to apologise.
I'm English, goddamnit, and proud :p:
You left out Northern Ireland. We are as British as the rest of you. Difference is that we actually fought for the right to be British, but none of you guys ever seem to care.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by El Hosko)
You left out Northern Ireland. We are as British as the rest of you. Difference is that we actually fought for the right to be British, but none of you guys ever seem to care.
I doubt you'd be saying that if you were one of the Union Commissioners in 1707 and in the crosshairs of the Edinburgh mob.

Anyway, I think the comment you quoted from whoever-the-heck was quite simply a demonstration of nationalism as a by-product of insecurity over one's identity.
nuodai
Report 12 years ago
What it means to be British, is to be born in Britain or have moved to Britain and consider yourself to be integrated with the country such that you are British, or perhaps to have British ancestry (like "British-Americans").
sdav
Report 12 years ago
Ah Britishness...something which one very rarely celebrates. That is one of the things to be proud of as a Brit, the fact that we don't go over the top with patriotism compared to some other nations.

Self-effacing is a typical British trait.
Hest
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What does it mean to be British?
Being...

A Snob: Upper class rich aristocrat hunting foxes, speaking in posh
accents and having high tea with politicians.

An Average Joe: Tradditional, reserved, like to watch football or
gossip, drinks in pubs. Spoiling the new generation
of children.

A Chav: Hoodies, pop fashion, ipods, rap/r&b music, easy exams,
stabbing, beating, disobedience.

No offence, but stereotypes are quite dependable sometimes.
Gemma_08
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Moaning a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (4)
9.52%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (9)
21.43%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (20)
47.62%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (6)
14.29%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
7.14%

Watched Threads