2 job offers for the same job, different salaries

Watch
greyzebra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have received offers from 2 different companies for the same job role, one from one of the big 4 and one from another accounting firm but the salaries are vastly different. I would like to take the position with the big 4 but they are the lower salary, the difference is significant, has anyone had any experience negotiating the graduate scheme salary with any of the big 4 in the UK and if so, how did it go?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That sounds very unusual - big 4 normally pay the same or slightly more than other accounting firms. Which is the other firm? Are these grad trainee audit positions? Are they both in the same region of the country?
greyzebra
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
That sounds very unusual - big 4 normally pay the same or slightly more than other accounting firms. Which is the other firm? Are these grad trainee audit positions? Are they both in the same region of the country?
Yes both Graduate Trainee Audit positions, both in the same Region, both going through ACA, big 4 firm has offered 24K vs 32K for the other but I get a much better feel from the people and culture in the big 4 firm. I just don't know if negotiating with them is possible or if it could result in them withdrawing my offer.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by greyzebra)
Yes both Graduate Trainee Audit positions, both in the same Region, both going through ACA, big 4 firm has offered 24K vs 32K for the other but I get a much better feel from the people and culture in the big 4 firm. I just don't know if negotiating with them is possible or if it could result in them withdrawing my offer.
don't worry about salary at this stage in your career - think about what your salary might me in 5 or 6 years time. you don't need the extra 4 or so thousand a year after tax tbh
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
mmm - struggling here. I'm assuming that you are looking outside London as the big 4 salary looks like the Midlands / North rate. I have trouble comprehending why any firm outside the big 4 would offer as high as £32k in that area. TBH I'm a bit suspicious - seems like they are either hiring you as a PQ, or have made a mistake on the letter. This is definitely an accounting firm not a division of government (like the audit commission) or an industrial company?

Given my suspicions I would go for the big 4 firm as you got a good feel.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
don't worry about salary at this stage in your career - think about what your salary might me in 5 or 6 years time. you don't need the extra 4 or so thousand a year after tax tbh
Not to disagree in general but I would worry about a salary offer which is at least £10k or 40% above the market rate. Something seems unusual....
greyzebra
Rep:
?
What are people's thoughts on trying to negotiate some of the gap with the big 4 firm, will they be set in their offer or is there room to negotiate?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are people's thoughts on trying to negotiate some of the gap with the big 4 firm, will they be set in their offer or is there room to negotiate?
For a basic graduate? No chance. Not going to happen. They wouldn't do it anyway, but would immediately be at risk of Equal Pay legislation.
lawcalling
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
Would agree with the above. Given the competition for the big 4 firms they could easily replace you in a second with someone who is willing to take the lesser salary. I wouldn’t push it. Even if you get it (very very unlikely as it’s a standard graduate entry level salary) I can’t imagine you being in good books.
Last edited by lawcalling; 1 month ago
DuckDodgers
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No experience negotiating salary but I'd take the 24k job over the 32k one.

I know from personal experience that taking a higher wage job isn't always a great idea. In my case, the workload was higher and being early in my career, it was a real struggle because it often meant me doing the work of two people. 8k is a big difference but 24k outside of London is still decent and working for a Top 4 will be a great springboard for positions later in your career. Without knowing the ins and outs, I reckon you'll learn a lot more, without the imposition of having to be the perfect employee right off the bat.
FRS500
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You won't be able to negotiate a salary as a graduate. It's pretty much "you get what you get".

If you feel like supplementing your income a tad, you sell back days of annual leave (don't do this).

Also it depends what you really want from your career. The B4 can be overrated in some respects, it isn't the be all and end all tbh.

You can have a good career outside the Big 4. You can also come back to the Big 4 at a later point
Ghostlady
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had this issue but in procurement. If the 24k one does not have an increase after so many months, then I would go for the 32k one. . I would not go negotiating with the 24k to raise it. If others that work there are on 24k also, then they wont be making an exception and it could lead to you being rejected.
I would also look at the 32k company as a whole. does if have a good reputation, how big is the company. if its got a good rep then people will have faith in using that company, rather than a biggie who is crap which can lead to customer disatisfaction and eventually down fall.

If the 24k is good with good promotional prospects then it might be wise to do 24k job. so its not just the money, but pros can cons of the company is best way to decide.
Last edited by Ghostlady; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (81)
38.57%
Take autumn exams (71)
33.81%
Look for a job (6)
2.86%
Consider an apprenticeship (7)
3.33%
Take a year out (32)
15.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.19%

Watched Threads