Black Lives Matter is Marxist? What does this mean?

Watch
konvictz0007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
This video just popped up on my feed from PragerU - they are normally very credible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpLItQnrgec

Do you agree with this woman (who is black btw)? I don't quite understand what Marxism is to be honest, in the context of today's economy.

Other people are against black lives matter as well, like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h25Yp8ip4A

I like to look at situations from both sides and hear what they say. Thoughts?
TheStarboy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by konvictz0007)
This video just popped up on my feed from PragerU - they are normally very credible.

Do you agree with this woman (who is black btw)? I don't quite understand what Marxism is to be honest, in the context of today's economy.

That PragerU video panders to the Conservatives while describing itself as a ‘an alternative viewpoint’

BLM doesn’t even hide it’s anti capitalist foundations.

The second video isn’t really worth talking about. I had no idea why you picked it out though.
konvictz0007
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheStarboy)
That PragerU video panders to the Conservatives while describing itself as a ‘an alternative viewpoint’

BLM doesn’t even hide it’s anti capitalist foundations.

The second video isn’t really worth talking about. I had no idea why you picked it out though.
I had no idea BLM was a political movement? Isn't the agenda to remove racism, or systemic racism?

What's wrong with capitalism? I don't see how capitalism means racism, surely??

And I posted it because I subscribed to them and they are regarded as quite credible.
TheStarboy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I had no idea BLM was a political movement? Isn't the agenda to remove racism, or systemic racism?

What's wrong with capitalism? I don't see how capitalism means racism, surely??

And I posted it because I subscribed to them and they are regarded as quite credible.
It’s meant to spread awareness and support politics that help Black people (this can also help other races too)

Capitalism is flawed and it can be used as the main culprit of many of these issues that BLM wants solved.

PragerU is very biased and is pretty reactionary. It’s the Fox News to any other source
Nabu123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This video just popped up on my feed from PragerU - they are normally very credible
😂😂😂

Seriously tho, from what I've read, Marxism is essentially the idea that capitalism by design is exploitative. The workers will eventually become fed up and over throw the capitalist elite and control the economy. It's the struggle between the poor and the wealthy elite. I personally do agree with marxism and I do consider myself a part of the blm movement.

However as with any movement there are many different sects. Some people such as myself believe that racism itself is a symptom of capitalism and we will only be free from oppression once capitalism has been over thrown. A lot of other people within the movement disagree with this idea, especially liberals (who are different from leftist). They seek criminal and educational reform, among other things. Just like feminism BLM has various different ideological differences, but ultimately we just want the liberation of black people and all Poc.
Last edited by Nabu123; 3 months ago
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
:rofl:
konvictz0007
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nabu123)
😂😂😂

Seriously tho, from what I've read, Marxism is essentially the idea that capitalism by design is exploitative. The workers will eventually become fed up and over throw the capitalist elite and control the economy. It's the struggle between the poor and the wealthy elite. I personally do agree with marxism and I do consider myself a part of the blm movement.

However as with any movement there are many different sects. Some people such as myself believe that racism itself is a symptom of capitalism and we will only be free from oppression once capitalism has been over thrown. A lot of other people within the movement disagree with this idea, especially liberals (who are different from leftist). They seek criminal and educational reform, among other things. Just like feminism BLM has various different ideological differences, but ultimately we just want the liberation of black people and all Poc.
I've never heard of capitalism being painted in a bad light, I don't see what is wrong with capitalism. Isn't it great that the system we have (although with some limitations), allows people to have virtually nothing to gain tremendous success. Doesn't capitalism benefit everyone, a company builds a new factory, yes the top boys will benefit the most, but jobs get created and increases the economic activity in the area?
JackDaniels23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Marxism is a method of socioeconomic analysis that uses a materialist interpretation of historical development to understand class relations and social conflict, as well as a dialectical perspective to view social transformation.
konvictz0007
Rep:
?
(Original post by JackDaniels23)
Marxism is a method of socioeconomic analysis that uses a materialist interpretation of historical development to understand class relations and social conflict, as well as a dialectical perspective to view social transformation.
Sorry, I didn't really understand. Could you explain in the context of black lives matter and how it would relate to us in the UK?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads