The Student Room Group

Why do I get so nervous on calls/facetime?

As the title says, no matter who I call or facetime, I get really nervous and awkward... I'm not sure what causes it though because it's people who I'm amazing friends with and I have been for years, I just get too nervous and end them or avoid them like my life depends on it :frown:

Any tips on how to improve my confidence? :smile:

(I was wondering if it's because I can hear my voice more than theirs and I hateee my voice so I get awkward?)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RyanC_
As the title says, no matter who I call or facetime, I get really nervous and awkward... I'm not sure what causes it though because it's people who I'm amazing friends with and I have been for years, I just get too nervous and end them or avoid them like my life depends on it :frown:

(I was wondering if it's because I can hear my voice more than theirs and I hateee my voice so I get awkward?)

I'm the same! I can't stand phone calls and I feel unsure of what to say next. It sounds odd but have you tried recording your voice and then just listening to it for a few minutes each day? My brother phoned today and I was pretty apprehensive to talk to him and fidgety. :hugs:
Reply 2
Original post by Hazelly
I'm the same! I can't stand phone calls and I feel unsure of what to say next. It sounds odd but have you tried recording your voice and then just listening to it for a few minutes each day? My brother phoned today and I was pretty apprehensive to talk to him and fidgety. :hugs:

In the nicest way possible, I'm glad to know it's not just me :smile:. I think I have that problem too, awkward silences over the phone always seem much worse + longer than in person. I haven't, I'll give it a shot - currently, whenever I hear my voice I cover my ears like a little child I hate hearing it that much :tongue: , probably because people are annoying about it to me.. The only people I can comfortably call at the moment is my parents and that's because it only lasts like 20 seconds!

Thanks for your help! :hugs:
A tip- Apparently FaceTime flips your face so press the effects button and it’ll make you look normal x
Original post by RyanC_
In the nicest way possible, I'm glad to know it's not just me :smile:. I think I have that problem too, awkward silences over the phone always seem much worse + longer than in person. I haven't, I'll give it a shot - currently, whenever I hear my voice I cover my ears like a little child I hate hearing it that much :tongue: , probably because people are annoying about it to me.. The only people I can comfortably call at the moment is my parents and that's because it only lasts like 20 seconds!

Thanks for your help! :hugs:

No worries at all, it takes time to grow confidence. It will get better! :smile:
Original post by RyanC_

Me too, even if i'm close with that person, I still feel awkward talking to then on vc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending