This discussion is closed.
GradMedStudent42
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I’m currently a medical student at the University of Cambridge on the graduate-entry (GEM) course. If you’re thinking of applying, or hold an offer, and still have questions you haven’t already found on TSR, feel free to ask.

Happy to answer questions about what it’s like to study medicine, graduate medicine, medicine at Cambridge, applications, interviews and anything else I may know about!
Last edited by GradMedStudent42; 9 months ago
stereotypeasian
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
bit late aren't you 😂
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6516212
GradMedStudent42
Rep:
?
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
bit late aren't you 😂
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6516212
Ah! Well if nothing else, I can provide some info on the graduate-entry (GEM) course!
loloslayer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
What advice do you have to let a 16-year-old boy who just moved to the UK to boost his chances? He does not have his GCSE from the UK. I hope they do not care in Cambridge about it. He is going to start his A Levels in September. He chose 4: math, bio, chem and physics. Thanks.
GradMedStudent42
Rep:
?
(Original post by loloslayer)
What advice do you have to let a 16-year-old boy who just moved to the UK to boost his chances? He does not have his GCSE from the UK. I hope they do not care in Cambridge about it. He is going to start his A Levels in September. He chose 4: math, bio, chem and physics. Thanks.
Hi,

I'm not sure about the specifics of applying with GCSEs from abroad, so I would check with the university for their entry requirements. Though in general, many of the students in my cohort did at least some of their education in other countries so I would definitely not worry about that, as long as they accept the qualifications he has. As far as I can tell as long as his English skills are good then this should be no hindrance at all. For A-levels, those are the same I went with so they will definitely do the job! Biology, although not required, definitely helps with the early years of medicine and I know several people that really struggle without it, so it's good he's chosen that. It also helped me in my interview as they will often ask questions to test your general science knowledge.

Aside from getting the grades required, the biggest thing any prospective medical student has to do is to convince the university he/she is applying to that they have thought a lot about the career, that they know it's no light undertaking, and that they have taken steps to get experience and are enthusiastic about the idea of working in healthcare because of those experiences. I'd advise getting a range of experiences (e.g. nursing homes, hospital, GP, anything you can find relating to healthcare) and make notes while he's doing them. These experiences can then be reflected on to show in personal statements and interviews why these experiences solidified his desire choose this profession. Personally, I did a couple of GP experiences (one rural and one urban, which I remember being a good contrast), a few days in hospital shadowing various rounds and surgeries, and I also had a job in a pharmacy.

Enthusiasm is key. If admissions teams see that somebody is truly, and not naively, enthusiastic about medicine, they will be very keen to admit them.
loloslayer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by GradMedStudent42)
Hi,

I'm not sure about the specifics of applying with GCSEs from abroad, so I would check with the university for their entry requirements. Though in general, many of the students in my cohort did at least some of their education in other countries so I would definitely not worry about that, as long as they accept the qualifications he has. As far as I can tell as long as his English skills are good then this should be no hindrance at all. For A-levels, those are the same I went with so they will definitely do the job! Biology, although not required, definitely helps with the early years of medicine and I know several people that really struggle without it, so it's good he's chosen that. It also helped me in my interview as they will often ask questions to test your general science knowledge.

Aside from getting the grades required, the biggest thing any prospective medical student has to do is to convince the university he/she is applying to that they have thought a lot about the career, that they know it's no light undertaking, and that they have taken steps to get experience and are enthusiastic about the idea of working in healthcare because of those experiences. I'd advise getting a range of experiences (e.g. nursing homes, hospital, GP, anything you can find relating to healthcare) and make notes while he's doing them. These experiences can then be reflected on to show in personal statements and interviews why these experiences solidified his desire choose this profession. Personally, I did a couple of GP experiences (one rural and one urban, which I remember being a good contrast), a few days in hospital shadowing various rounds and surgeries, and I also had a job in a pharmacy.

Enthusiasm is key. If admissions teams see that somebody is truly, and not naively, enthusiastic about medicine, they will be very keen to admit them.
Thank you so much. Good luck with your FY1!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (122)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (368)
14.83%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (271)
10.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (349)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (113)
4.55%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (150)
6.05%
Loneliness (213)
8.59%
Financial worries (92)
3.71%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.27%
Exposure to negative news/social media (119)
4.8%
Lack of real life entertainment (131)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (215)
8.67%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (232)
9.35%

Watched Threads