The Student Room Group

Halls sucks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bunnyrabbit2
It would have happened to me in any other hall, because I got to know another guy from another hall and he was a jerk to me. Used me as his wingman to get into a bar and then left me on my own at the bar once he found a woman to hook up with. Then when we went back to his hall he basically told me he didn't want me around. Just in general the people in halls are a55holes.

I’m not denying you had a bad experience. But there are thousands of people across the UK who live in halls, not all of them will be the same.

Face it, you got unlucky with the people you encountered whilst living in halls. This doesn’t mean everyone who lives in halls is automatically a horrible person.

I’m sorry you didn’t have a good time in halls but that’s down to you, and the people you encountered. Just because the people you met weren’t nice, doesn’t mean every single student who lives in halls is horrible.
Fine, not every single student in halls is horrible. But in general the people in halls suck and by the way I went to other hall parties and the people were douchy and jerky as well. People didn't want to talk to me or get to know me on frosh week either. They just went together and did their own thing and I was left alone in my room.
Fine, not every single student in halls is horrible. But in general the people in halls suck and by the way I went to other hall parties and the people were douchy and jerky as well. People didn't want to talk to me or get to know me on frosh week either. They just went together and did their own thing and I was left alone in my room.

Again, that’s not to say that every single student in halls is like that.

Accept you had a bad experience.

You didn’t have a great time and that’s a shame. But it is so wrong of you to call everyone who lives in halls horrible people. And it is so bad of you to guilt trip people who party in halls because you had to spend your time alone, that’s not their fault. You can’t tell people not to live in halls just because you didn’t enjoy it.

Just accept that your experience was bad but that doesn’t mean everyone’s will be.
That sounds almost as bad as a night of partying. What is the purpose of living in a hall with a bunch of people and cooking together and/or going for a drink? What is the purpose of hall parties?

The point was to get to know and form bonds with the people I was to live with for the next academic year. What do you mean by 'hall parties'?
Original post by CatusStarbright
The point was to get to know and form bonds with the people I was to live with for the next academic year. What do you mean by 'hall parties'?

Hall parties is where people from the hall building get together in a room or a lobby near the room and get drunk/stoned together. They happen all the time in halls. Terrible experience. Nothing worse than dealing with the obnoxious and arrogant ways people act at hall parties. And you are seen as weird if you do not like hall parties.

The people that it doesn't go well for, they can always research the possibility of moving out after 1st semester. Perhaps they could get all of their money back for the second semester, minus the administrative fee associated with moving out.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
Again, that’s not to say that every single student in halls is like that.

Accept you had a bad experience.

You didn’t have a great time and that’s a shame. But it is so wrong of you to call everyone who lives in halls horrible people. And it is so bad of you to guilt trip people who party in halls because you had to spend your time alone, that’s not their fault. You can’t tell people not to live in halls just because you didn’t enjoy it.

Just accept that your experience was bad but that doesn’t mean everyone’s will be.

I am not telling people not to live in halls. They can go ahead and waste all that money to stay in a dump that costs more because it is on campus. But I still say screw them because they are going to almost all of them have a good time partying it up and I didn't because my social skills are very weak.
I am not telling people not to live in halls. They can go ahead and waste all that money to stay in a dump that costs more because it is on campus. But I still say screw them because they are going to almost all of them have a good time partying it up and I didn't because my social skills are very weak.

But that’s not their fault? You can’t blame them for having a good time just because your social skills are bad? The world doesn’t revolve around you.
(edited 3 years ago)
i don't think it's fair to say everyone hates living in halls.... else so many people wouldn't live in them!

to each their own. :yep:
Original post by yzanne
i don't think it's fair to say everyone hates living in halls.... else so many people wouldn't live in them!

This is exactly what I’m saying haha! OP just doesn’t understand x
Original post by yzanne

I think people live in halls because they would be seen as weird if they are in first year and didn't live in a hall. A social conformity type of phenomenon.
But that’s not their fault? You can’t blame them for having a good time just because your social skills are bad? The world doesn’t revolve around you.

I am jealous of them because they get to enjoy what I tried to enjoy but don't have the ability to enjoy. Kind of like how some people who have a sh1tty miserable life are probably glad Covid 19 is ruining the world, although that is on a much larger scale than my halls experience.
I am jealous of them because they get to enjoy what I tried to enjoy but don't have the ability to enjoy. Kind of like how some people who have a sh1tty miserable life are probably glad Covid 19 is ruining the world, although that is on a much larger scale than my halls experience.

Yes but you can be jealous of them and not criticise them.
I think people live in halls because they would be seen as weird if they are in first year and didn't live in a hall. A social conformity type of phenomenon.

i disagree. i am so, so looking forward to halls because i can meet people and make friends, as well as be surrounded by people. i'd rather do that than live in an apartment by myself which would make me lonelier and would make it harder for me to find friends.
I think everyone hates living in halls. The people, the parties, get singled out and be that guy, sit alone in your room while hearing everyone else partying it up having the time of their life. On the first night everyone wants to go home and never come back to university.

Come out of your room and make an effort to make new friends?
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Come out of your room and make an effort to make new friends?

It was scary to come out of my room. Where is everybody that is outside my room? How many are there? What are they doing? Will they all look at me if I walk into a group gathering or get together? What if I try to start a conversation and it makes me look dumb or weird?
It was scary to come out of my room. Where is everybody that is outside my room? How many are there? What are they doing? Will they all look at me if I walk into a group gathering or get together? What if I try to start a conversation and it makes me look dumb or weird?

Sometimes you just have to go into situations with a **** it attitude, don't overthink. You'll look wierd if you make youself look weird, act natural and crack a conversation - try it and get back to me.
Original post by yzanne
i disagree. i am so, so looking forward to halls because i can meet people and make friends, as well as be surrounded by people. i'd rather do that than live in an apartment by myself which would make me lonelier and would make it harder for me to find friends.

Interesting. I cannot imagine how someone could really look forward to living in a hall. What is the point in living in a bare residence with a bunch of late teenagers just to meet a bunch of late teenagers? Teenagers are not nice anyways.
Interesting. I cannot imagine how someone could really look forward to living in a hall. What is the point in living in a bare residence with a bunch of late teenagers just to meet a bunch of late teenagers? Teenagers are not nice anyways.

Oh my god you’re so negative.

NOT EVERYONES EXPERIENCE IS THE SAME.

You cannot generalise all teenagers as being “not nice”.
Yes but you can be jealous of them and not criticise them.

It feels good to criticize people that love the hall experience when I never did well socially in my younger years and I am older and don't care anymore.
It feels good to criticize people that love the hall experience when I never did well socially in my younger years and I am older and don't care anymore.

If you don’t care anymore then why make a whole thread criticising halls and everyone who lives there? You seem to have some issues regarding your time in halls and you’re taking it out on everyone else. It’s unfair. Work on your attitude and stop hating on people who live in halls just because you didn’t enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest