Should I go to uni this year or withdraw my offer?

Watch
Retronomical
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have firmed an offer to study medicine at 2020 entry but have run into some problems. I’m an international student (though currently living in the UK and have been for most of my life). I was under the impression that my fees were already sorted out and that I was going to get sponsored but due to the pandemic, the process is being delayed. I don’t yet have a confirmation on whether I’ll have the money before my course starts.

I now have sufficient documents to make me eligible for home fees but it’s too late to change my status as I’ve already firmed my offer (I’m not entirely sure but I don’t think it’s possible to change fee status after firming your place).

There are a few options I could think of:
1. Wait it out and hope I get a response from the embassy before the fee payment deadline.

2. Defer my offer. Only problem is that there is also no guarantee I’ll get sponsored for next year so there’s still that uncertainty.

3. Withdraw my offer and reapply as a home student. I hated the stress of the application cycle last time but I guess if it comes to this then so be it.

Another problem with option 3 is that I have not done any more work experience/ volunteering as I was not anticipating a gap year. The only work experience/volunteering I have is listed in my current personal statement so there’s not much to add to it.

What do you reckon I should do?
Last edited by Retronomical; 1 month ago
hariisawesome
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Liluzihurt)
I have firmed an offer to study medicine at 2020 entry but have run into some problems. I’m an international student (though currently living in the UK and have been for most of my life). I was under the impression that my fees were already sorted out and that I was going to get sponsored but due to the pandemic, the process is being delayed. I don’t yet have a confirmation on whether I’ll have the money before my course starts.

I now have sufficient documents to make me eligible for home fees but it’s too late to change my status as I’ve already firmed my offer (I’m not entirely sure but I don’t think it’s possible to change fee status after firming your place).

There are a few options I could think of:
1. Wait it out and hope I get a response from the embassy before the fee payment deadline.

2. Defer my offer. Only problem is that there is also no guarantee I’ll get sponsored for next year so there’s still that uncertainty.

3. Withdraw my offer and reapply as a home student. I hated the stress of the application cycle last time but I guess if it comes to this then so be it.

Another problem with option 3 is that I have not done any more work experience/ volunteering as I was not anticipating a gap year. The only work experience/volunteering I have is listed in my current personal statement so there’s not much to add to it.

What do you reckon I should do?
Well you could just get a student loan I think, which would mean no payment is due until you start working!
AspireExcite
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Speak to the finance team at your uni. They will definitely give you options especially since theyve already offered you a place. You can even defer payment and hopefully get sponsorship sorted by then. Trust me, reach out to the uni. I've done both undergrad and postgrads so I have been through the process of asking uni's questions! And congratulations on your firmed offer!
Retronomical
Rep:
?
(Original post by hariisawesome)
Well you could just get a student loan I think, which would mean no payment is due until you start working!
(Original post by AspireExcite)
Speak to the finance team at your uni. They will definitely give you options especially since theyve already offered you a place. You can even defer payment and hopefully get sponsorship sorted by then. Trust me, reach out to the uni. I've done both undergrad and postgrads so I have been through the process of asking uni's questions! And congratulations on your firmed offer!
Thank you! Though I’ve heard international students can‘t receive financial help from the uni. Would they still give options since I technically am a home student, despite being classed in the international bracket by my university?
Last edited by Retronomical; 1 month ago
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did you confirm with your sponsor that you'll 100% get it?
Retronomical
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)
Did you confirm with your sponsor that you'll 100% get it?
Nope. We are still trying to get in contact.
AspireExcite
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Liluzihurt)
Thank you! Though I’ve heard international students can‘t receive financial help from the uni. Would they still give options since I technically am a home student, despite being classed in the international bracket by my university?
Honestly, the best person to ask is the student advisers at the university you've firmed. As the course hasn't begun and you've not been fully enrolled - you might have a chance to change your fee status. I dont know about this but youre technically still in the pre-enrolment stage. Best to call them up to get an immediate answer as well as for any advice/suggestions they may have for you. It's their job after all and they know best!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (96)
25.46%
Better than expected (77)
20.42%
Worse than expected (204)
54.11%

Watched Threads