The Student Room Group

Advice on Who Should I Be

I want to be an anthropologist but my family adult friend (with kids of her own) said that I shouldn’t because the path is more limited. She said I should do something like business where I can just branch out to other careers. As in I should do a major that gives me a lot of options in the career I want to do. This is the same thing a college upperclassman told me to do so it must be true. I guess I don’t know what magical answer I am looking for. I think I am just looking for some sort of direction. If I do business admin, what can I do with it? How would being an anthropologist look like? What field of study should I be looking for? I will literally look at everything that doesn’t have to do with computers or chemistry.
No, do what you want to do - not what other people tell you do to because of career options.

You'll be really unhappy if you do Business just because of career options. Remember that you'll do that for the rest of your life - and you'll probably want to do something that makes you happy.

Luckily, your degree doesn't entirely limit you in what you can do. You can study Anthropology and become an anthropologist obviously, but you can also go on to do a Masters in a different field (like teaching, psychology, law, etc.) and pursue that career, or you can just use your anthropology degree to go into business, journalism, publishing, etc.
There are so many career options out there and they don't depend on what you studied. What's more important is that you get good grades in whatever degree you pursue.

It used to be that your degree really limited you, but that's a lot more flexible today.
For example, have a look on LinkedIn - just take a look at random companies and their employees (like anthropologists, editors, people in business or marketing, etc.) and you'll see that of course some people will have a relevant degree, but a lot (!) of people don't.

There are also tons of interviews with recruiters for big firms online, saying that what's more important is that the person got good grades in whatever subject they did, and that they show initiative and genuine interest.

So I'd definitely recommend you to follow your passion and do what you want to do - like Anthropology. Your degree doesn't limit you in the way it used to 20 years ago.

Also, there are lots of unis that offer joint degrees - so for example you could study Anthropology and Business (if you even have an interest in Business of course), or Anthropology and English, etc etc. There are so many options out there, so just have a look around.

And definitely, definitely do what you want to do! Believe me, you'll regret taking something you're not interested in - you'll regret it each day when going to uni, you won't have any motivation and your grades will suffer, and you'll regret it after graduating when it's time to look for a career and you'll realise that you hate those career options. And then you'll regret it each day when going to work.
Just do something you love! :smile:
Do something you love theres no point wasting ur life on things u hate
Original post by HomelyInaccuracy
I want to be an anthropologist but my family adult friend (with kids of her own) said that I shouldn’t because the path is more limited. She said I should do something like business where I can just branch out to other careers. As in I should do a major that gives me a lot of options in the career I want to do. This is the same thing a college upperclassman told me to do so it must be true. I guess I don’t know what magical answer I am looking for. I think I am just looking for some sort of direction. If I do business admin, what can I do with it? How would being an anthropologist look like? What field of study should I be looking for? I will literally look at everything that doesn’t have to do with computers or chemistry.

Anyone can do business, it doesn't need formal training. Most business people have other more subject specific degrees and pick up business through experience.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by heyitsmika
No, do what you want to do - not what other people tell you do to because of career options.

You'll be really unhappy if you do Business just because of career options. Remember that you'll do that for the rest of your life - and you'll probably want to do something that makes you happy.

Luckily, your degree doesn't entirely limit you in what you can do. You can study Anthropology and become an anthropologist obviously, but you can also go on to do a Masters in a different field (like teaching, psychology, law, etc.) and pursue that career, or you can just use your anthropology degree to go into business, journalism, publishing, etc.
There are so many career options out there and they don't depend on what you studied. What's more important is that you get good grades in whatever degree you pursue.

It used to be that your degree really limited you, but that's a lot more flexible today.
For example, have a look on LinkedIn - just take a look at random companies and their employees (like anthropologists, editors, people in business or marketing, etc.) and you'll see that of course some people will have a relevant degree, but a lot (!) of people don't.

There are also tons of interviews with recruiters for big firms online, saying that what's more important is that the person got good grades in whatever subject they did, and that they show initiative and genuine interest.

So I'd definitely recommend you to follow your passion and do what you want to do - like Anthropology. Your degree doesn't limit you in the way it used to 20 years ago.

Also, there are lots of unis that offer joint degrees - so for example you could study Anthropology and Business (if you even have an interest in Business of course), or Anthropology and English, etc etc. There are so many options out there, so just have a look around.

And definitely, definitely do what you want to do! Believe me, you'll regret taking something you're not interested in - you'll regret it each day when going to uni, you won't have any motivation and your grades will suffer, and you'll regret it after graduating when it's time to look for a career and you'll realise that you hate those career options. And then you'll regret it each day when going to work.
Just do something you love! :smile:

Do I have to go to uni to do the business path? Just wondering in case something comes up
Original post by HomelyInaccuracy
Do I have to go to uni to do the business path? Just wondering in case something comes up

Most employers do want a university degree. It's probably not impossible, but I think I'd be pretty hard without a degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending