The Student Room Group

How should I revise my Electricity and Magnetism course?

It's a third year university course. I'm going to get a private tutor to teach me the course. I have lecture notes, past papers, tutorial sheets and mid-term exam practice papers.

Last academic year I was doing a Quantum Mechanics course which I managed to get an A in when I did the exam this year. But that was because the exam was open book due to Covid19. I doubt I would've gotten an A if it wasn't open book. I found it hard to remember the answers because I only practised each question three times for two days and then at the end of the week I went over all the old material again. So 4 out of the 5 days I used to learn new material instead of revise old material. I did manage to understand the full course though. It was my first time knowing to start revising in November 2019 opposed to cramming for it in March/ April 2020 as I have done in the past.

So I've got this new organisation skill but I'm still trying to refine my revision method. For this other course, should I revise old material for five days a week and learn new material for two to three days a week? Really, the committing to memory part of revision I find challenging. I've had people tell me not to commit things to memory. But I've tried doing that before and I ended up not being able to write an answer for a question because I never memorized the steps to a solution. My problem solving skill isn't that strong so I wouldn't have known how to solve a question without memorizing a model answer first and then using the concept I learned from that to apply it to solve a question. How should I actually revise?
Original post by GeolPhysics
It's a third year university course. I'm going to get a private tutor to teach me the course. I have lecture notes, past papers, tutorial sheets and mid-term exam practice papers.

Last academic year I was doing a Quantum Mechanics course which I managed to get an A in when I did the exam this year. But that was because the exam was open book due to Covid19. I doubt I would've gotten an A if it wasn't open book. I found it hard to remember the answers because I only practised each question three times for two days and then at the end of the week I went over all the old material again. So 4 out of the 5 days I used to learn new material instead of revise old material. I did manage to understand the full course though. It was my first time knowing to start revising in November 2019 opposed to cramming for it in March/ April 2020 as I have done in the past.

So I've got this new organisation skill but I'm still trying to refine my revision method. For this other course, should I revise old material for five days a week and learn new material for two to three days a week? Really, the committing to memory part of revision I find challenging. I've had people tell me not to commit things to memory. But I've tried doing that before and I ended up not being able to write an answer for a question because I never memorized the steps to a solution. My problem solving skill isn't that strong so I wouldn't have known how to solve a question without memorizing a model answer first and then using the concept I learned from that to apply it to solve a question. How should I actually revise?

Can you post the syllabus of the course? And show us a typical set of exam questions.
Have you learnt vector calculus? Are you comfortable of solving coupled differential equations?

Quick Reply

Latest