The Student Room Group

Second degree full and part time funding

So I’ve been searching into a second degree and my subject is in the category to be funded which is great but it says your previous qualification is taken into consideration as to if you can study full time as most second degrees are only funded as part time ?

Does anyone know what the criteria is for this to be able to study full time ? I’ve had funding from student finance before but I do not have or hold an actual degree as I had to leave my studies for family reasons so sadly I never made it to the end! I would consider part time but they only run the course as full time typically 😂

I’m seeing conflicting answers that it is only nursing and allied health care that you can study full time with all funding, not things like engineering that can be funded but must be part time. But I’m basically wondering if where I don’t have a degree can I do this full time ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Taylerjean
So I’ve been searching into a second degree and my subject is in the category to be funded which is great but it says your previous qualification is taken into consideration as to if you can study full time as most second degrees are only funded as part time ?

Does anyone know what the criteria is for this to be able to study full time ? I’ve had funding from student finance before but I do not have or hold an actual degree as I had to leave my studies for family reasons so sadly I never made it to the end! I would consider part time but they only run the course as full time typically 😂

I’m seeing conflicting answers that it is only nursing and allied health care that you can study full time with all funding, not things like engineering that can be funded but must be part time. But I’m basically wondering if where I don’t have a degree can I do this full time ?

Hi there,
Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there,
Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

Thanks, Isaac

Hi Thankyou for replying with all of that it’s really helpful,
Does is make a difference that I don’t hold an honours degree or higher ?
Thankyou in advance
Tayler
Hi Thankyou for replying with all of that it’s really helpful,
Does is make a difference that I don’t hold an honours degree or higher ?
Thankyou in advance
Tayler

What qualification do you hold?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Isaac
What qualification do you hold?
Thanks, Isaac

The highest I have is a certificate of higher education or there known as CertHE I think
Thankyou
Tayler
The highest I have is a certificate of higher education or there known as CertHE I think
Thankyou
Tayler

If you study full time then your previous study will affect your eligibility unless you study an exceptions course.

If you study part time then you will be funded as long as the qualification is higher and it doesn't need to be an exceptions course.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending