Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    i only got a c and im doing comp science, tbh they will teach it all from scrath anyways

you wouldnt have got the offer if they didnt think you could cope
    So you didn't do A-Level at all? And is it really hard to take in? Sorry for all the questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    If you read the whole thread, the OP is starting a computing degree and is concerned about whether she should have met some of these topics at GCSE.
    Aah, ok, sorry. But, seriously, GCSE doesn't even hit the basic aspects of what the OP has stated...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by doodygirl)
    Not very good I got a C in maths, this is why I asked if it was A-Level work because I am thinking about taking a gap year to re-study my Gcse maths and hopefully get a better grade.
    Not a bad plan. You will struggle with the mathematical content of a computing degree if you cannot improve to at least grade A standard at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    dont listen to peeps telling you that you will struggle, ive got access to the maths units past papers from my uni, i will send you a copy if you want, they are easily teachable

i did computational methods, a maths uni in the BTEC Nat Dip which covered standard deviation and stuff, its really easy, and i hated maths at school (although i did bunk all the time), if you enjoy computing and want to do well you wont have a problem
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    With respect, the content of Computational Methods is not in the same universe as the list of topics the OP was discussing.

Computational Methods Specification:

1 Statistics

Basic statistics: introduction to mean, mode and median; familiarisation with quartile and interquartile ranges
    Sample distribution: normal distribution; calculation of range and standard deviation for sets of data

2 Algebraic and graphical tools and technique

Evaluation of algebraic expressions: understand the use of variables, constants, suffixes and powers; presentation of algebraic formulae in graphical formats

3 Extract, consolidate and understand numeric data

Numerical representation: integer, fraction, percentages and decimal
    Mathematical and scientific notation: indices and standard form
    Simultaneous equations: theory and use with examples
    Number bases: representation of data using binary, octal and hexadecimal representation

4 Problem solve

Spreadsheets: use to calculate, forecast and problem solve
    Case studies: use examples to carry out problem solving exercises

ReputationRep:
    its irrelevant if its not in the same universe, my degree contains all of those things she mentioned, hence i will send her the paper if she likes

the questions are all difficult, fair enough, but they are easily learnable and something she shouldnt worry about taking on, and as i have already said, they wouldnt make her the offer if

1) they werent going to teach it
    2) they didnt think she was capable
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    its irrelevant if its not in the same universe, my degree contains all of those things she mentioned, hence i will send her the paper if she likes

the questions are all difficult, fair enough, but they are easily learnable and something she shouldnt worry about taking on, and as i have already said, they wouldnt make her the offer if

1) they werent going to teach it
    2) they didnt think she was capable
    1) University teaching is very different to school/college teaching. They expect learners to do the majority of the work themselves - this is the principle of "independent learning".

2) As I said before, capability or suitability for a course is less important than putting bums on seats for many universities. Here are the latest figures for first degree drop-outs:

"The proportion of students failing to finish the degree course they started across the UK is 22.6 per cent. Around two-thirds of these students dropped out and a third either transferred to other universities or were expected to be awarded lesser qualifications, figures show.

The failure rate is highest among new universities - a focus of the Government's drive to boost the number of sixth-formers staying on.

Half of students at Bolton University failed to complete degree courses compared to 43 per cent a year earlier, figures show.

At Anglia Ruskin, London Metropolitan, London Southbank, Middlesex and Thames Valley universities more than four in 10 students failed to finish their degrees. At 43 universities across England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland the degree failure rate was higher than a quarter."

Source: www.telegraph.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    So what is your point, are you suggesting the OP wont be abale to do it becuase she got a C at GCSE by pointing out most places require ALevel maths for comp science?

There going to teach with the same desire as schools, just in a different way, its in there best interest to get 100% pass rate, opposed to just taking the 3k off students and "getting bums on seats"

yes the maths will be difficult but its going to be far from impossible, and i cant wait to have a crack at it, same for the OP probs
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I admire your positive attitude.

I'm choosing my words carefully to try not to sound patronising but you need to make sure you use there, their and they're correctly in any reports, essays or dissertations at University.

I wish you well with your studies.

ReputationRep:
    Thread of the year imo.

EDIT: It's hotting up. I could actually be right.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt worry to much about sounding patronising or not, you made sure of that a few posts ago, im sure after reading through my posts you understood clearly what i was getting at, and it seems unfortuante for you that you now must resort to analysing my grammar in order to try and make a valid point in this debate.

(Original post by Mr M)
    What a bizarre post!

Well at GCSE Maths you meet the decimal number system (!), some simple vectors and a bit of probability and correlation. In GCSE Statistics, the normal distribution makes a limited appearance.

I'm intrigued about the reason you are asking? Most of the topics you list appear in A Level Maths or A Level Further Maths or the first year of a mathematics degree.
    What?! How easy is that!? Well, A* for then! :yeah:

To the OP, I doubt what you mentioned is in the GCSE Maths, because the content you mentioned looks like it from Maths A Level or even FM A Level.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i wouldnt worry to much about sounding patronising or not, you made sure of that a few posts ago, im sure after reading through my posts you understood clearly what i was getting at, and it seems unfortuante for you that you now must resort to analysing my grammar in order to try and make a valid point in this debate.
    Yes, your writing was perfectly clear and I had no difficulty understanding you. I was just trying to give you some gentle advice to help you in the future.

I do have some credentials. I currently teach secondary school mathematics including A Level Maths, Further Maths and STEP, have lectured in Astrophysics at university, am an experienced marker, a published author and a consultant for a Government Department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    What?! How easy is that!? Well, A* for then! :yeah:

To the OP, I doubt what you mentioned is in the GCSE Maths, because the content you mentioned looks like it from Maths A Level or even FM A Level.
    ...or even degree level :eek4:

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.