daymeetsnight
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to take advanced higher Biology, chemistry and maths (I've currently been studying them) but now I'm not doing medicine and I want to maybe do engineering. To do this I need higher physics. Do you think it's achievable to keep my three advanced higher and just pickup physics?
slothonist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What type of engineering do you want to do?
I'd suggest dropping one or two of your advanced highers and picking up two highers to replace them
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by daymeetsnight)
I want to take advanced higher Biology, chemistry and maths (I've currently been studying them) but now I'm not doing medicine and I want to maybe do engineering. To do this I need higher physics. Do you think it's achievable to keep my three advanced higher and just pickup physics?
Hello daymeetsnight

What highers have you already taken so far?

You're right in saying you'll need your Higher Physics. Some courses and institutions will even recommend both Advanced Maths and Physics. What type or Engineering are you interested in studying? In some cases, another Advanced science would be helpful- for example, if you're considering something like Chemical Engineering, then your Advanced Chemistry will be relevant.

If you're now pretty sure about Engineering, I'd focus on your Adv. Maths and Higher Physics. I think to do three Advanced sciences as well as a 'crashed' Higher is very academically demanding- however it's an entirely personal decision to make and only you know if you're willing and able to put all the extra work in for that. I'd speak to your school guidance staff to see what they think, and also get in touch with universities to find out more about exact entry requirements. These will vary for different courses so pay attention to what exactly we might be asking you for. You'd rather focus on getting the right grades at the right subjects than risk overwhelming yourself with less relevant subjects and missing the requirements you need.

If you've any questions about this feel free to pop me a message over! More than happy to chat to you about subject choices.

-Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (265)
40.27%
Take autumn exams (197)
29.94%
Look for a job (22)
3.34%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.8%
Take a year out (110)
16.72%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (39)
5.93%

Watched Threads