Do you study with music on?

Watch this thread
wendy1298
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I heard that listening to a mellow song really helps with digesting information. Does it really? Have you tried it and does it work?
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I don't.
josie71202
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I do but not all the time
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I dont
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, usually some baroque stuff and/or classical guitar music. Bach's lute suites are excellent for this, as well as his solo violin works.
rxyaltyx
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
no, it distracts me
GabiAbi84
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I just completed my psychology final research project on this very subject
I investigated the effect of music on cognitive abilities (memory recall and problem solving) splitting the participants into intuitive and analytical brain types. I moved past just the studying phase and into the examination itself investigating whether we were putting certain brain types at a disadvantage by making everybody take exams in the same conditions.
Research suggest that a non-vocal, non-dramatic musical piece will help memory recall in most students. (Musicians being sometimes an exception to this)
Pugglet
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Discovered the sims music makes great background noise 10/10 would recommend
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Sometimes but not if I am revising
Axesha_cx
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I do but I get so distracted. No matter how calm the song is I’ll dance
itscourtchicks
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
I investigated the effect of music on cognitive abilities (memory recall and problem solving) splitting the participants into intuitive and analytical brain types. I moved past just the studying phase and into the examination itself investigating whether we were putting certain brain types at a disadvantage by making everybody take exams in the same conditions.
Research suggest that a non-vocal, non-dramatic musical piece will help memory recall in most students. (Musicians being sometimes an exception to this)
This is exactly what works for me. I study best with silence/muffled noise, or with music that has no vocals or no dramatic beats 🤷🏼*♀️
cloud_9_
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
nah it distracts me too much
Anonymous_#2
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
yeah this helps me if you have headphones lower your volume
dowbt
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I listen to a non-vocal lofi hip hop playlist
Issakatie
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Classical music is good, but usually used it for maths (practise) rather than when I have to learn things
Tslater
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Did you find any evidence of state-dependant forgetting such as with Goodwin et al. (1969) and Baker et al. (2004) in terms of remembering best when the same music is playing at learning and recall?
GabiAbi84
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tslater)
Did you find any evidence of state-dependant forgetting such as with Goodwin et al. (1969) and Baker et al. (2004) in terms of remembering best when the same music is playing at learning and recall?
My experiment used the same track in both learning and recall so didn’t use that as a variable. It was however something discussed as further study options. It focussed more on the difference between the two brain types and which section that music was present in.
username5308830
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
i study with music on :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads