Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering, if you have builders in your house (perhaps working on the bathroom or kitchen) are you meant to offer them food and drink?

Also, are you meant to let them get to work and leave them, or are you meant to stay in the room and watch them?

What if you have a plumber for a while or something (like 15 mins); surely you're expected to stay in the same room? If you don't...is it considered rude?

Thanks, it's just one of those things where there's no 'right' way of behaving. But I just wanted to know how you all behave around them as I'm kind of confused.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on their preference. Ask them what they prefer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato123)
    It depends on their preference. Ask them what they prefer.
    Yeh I that seems to make sense. What do you do?

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel comfortable leaving a maintenance man to his own devices, I don't like people being in my room without me. Generally, I stand in a corner and make small-talk, or sit at my laptop and look busy. As long as I can see what they're up to, I'm fine.

ReputationRep:
    Do what you ****ing like - you're paying them and you're in your own house.

It is customary to offer a cup of tea and perhaps some biscuits to builders etc if they're around for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. It's just that last time we had builders my mum would constantly keep giving them food (i.e. ice-cream, crisps etc etc). And she'd keep sending me to go and ask them if they wanted anything every 15 mins (so annoying). She even tried to make me sit there too, incase they wanted anything- which I refused to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I don't feel comfortable leaving a maintenance man to his own devices, I don't like people being in my room without me. Generally, I stand in a corner and make small-talk, or sit at my laptop and look busy. As long as I can see what they're up to, I'm fine.
    Yeh, that wouldn't be too bad if they were there for a while (max an hour). But when they are there for nearly the whole day... wouldn't it get tedious?

well dont just stand in the doorway making sure that they dont nick anything, just chat to them casually, talk about immigrants nicking jobs or something. if they are round for like less than 10 mins dont bother with tea.

this is like basic social interaction 101

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlushTheSystem)
    Yeh, that wouldn't be too bad if they were there for a while (max an hour). But when they are there for nearly the whole day... wouldn't it get tedious?
    I'd imagine so. I don't know which point I'd give up at, I've only ever had to wait a maximum of 20 minutes. I'd feel like I was lurking unneccessarily if I had to wait for too long...hm...

(Original post by FlushTheSystem)
    oh yeah if they are aroung all day just leave them to it. perhaps just check on them every so often, offer tea and ****
    check the company out first with trading standards if you are worried, people can leave like reviews and things on the internet of different companies

ReputationRep:
    Well when I get my own place I'll offer them the chance to come on TSR.

Me: y0, you wanna come on TSR?
    Builder: errr..what's TSR?
    Me: The Student Room innit..
    Builder: Is that like a Room..for students?
    Me: It's an online forum full of "epic phail". Mate I'm telling you once you join TSR, you're hooked. Be prepared to give your whole life to this site..even your building work. You'll start avoiding your family and you'll encounter fun people on there like Oxbridge candidates, noobs, oldbies, etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Well when I get my own place I'll offer them the chance to come on TSR.

Me: y0, you wanna come on TSR?
    Builder: errr..what's TSR?
    Me: The Student Room innit..
    Builder: Is that like a Room..for students?
    Me: It's an online forum full of "epic phail". Mate I'm telling you once you join TSR, you're hooked. Be prepared to give your whole life to this site..even your building work. You'll start avoiding your family and you'll encounter fun people on there like Oxbridge candidates, noobs, oldbies, etc!
    lol, I'm sure once you have your own place you'll be a legend among the local builders.

ReputationRep:
    lol i did bricklaying/labouring for 5 years, do not stand with them, that will piss them off no end, ho would you feel if you were tryign to work and someone was standing/watching/talking constantly, offer em a cuppa tea every hour or two and let em do their job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    lol i did bricklaying/labouring for 5 years, do not stand with them, that will piss them off no end, ho would you feel if you were tryign to work and someone was standing/watching/talking constantly, offer em a cuppa tea every hour or two and let em do their job
    True, ah well, seems like I'm set for tomaro.

ReputationRep:
    We had our home renovated so the builders have been in the house for about a year. Kept out their way most of the time. We used to offer them tea and biscuits when we were in but they knew they could help themselves when we were out.

But in other situations like the plumber or the Tv guy, I tend to offer them a cup of tea and then make a bit of small talk while they get on with their work. After that I will leave the room but be within hearing distance.

ReputationRep:
    yeh its good to offer tea and biscuits, even the odd sandwich, makes the job better, and they will therfore be more productive, else your likely to get snide remarks like

"this is a dry job isnt it"!!! which i spose sounds rude but is all in jest

ReputationRep:
    Offer them a drink then leave them to it. Move all things you may think will get pinched though. Blaady tealeafs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terryw)
    As an old labourer myself, most builders like to be left alone.
    Offer a cup or tea/bacon sandwish though
    Bacon sandwiches?! What do you think this is? The Savoy Grill?

ReputationRep:
    Make a cup of tea and leave them to it... Most people don't want someone looking over their shoulder making pointless small talk when they are doing a job.

ReputationRep:
    I had builders in every day for about 2 months. I offered them cups of tea and coffee but other than that I left them to it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.