Changing a Nationwide Smart Account Watch

DominF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
When I was sorting out my student loans I was pressed for time so I just gave the details of my nationwide smart account; obviously this type of account is inconvenient for a student, and as far as I know they close it at some point this year since I'm 18 anyway.

What I want to know is, what are my options regarding changing the type of account? Is it possible to do some sort of upgrade to a proper account so that when the three student loan payments are paid throughout the year they'll go into something more convenient for student life? Or do I just have to start a new one and change the account details the student loans company will pay to?

Thanks!
snu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your Smart Account will automatically change into a Cashbuilder account, IIRC.

Nationwide do a current account called the FlexAccount. However, you may wish to consider an account specifically targeted at students (Nationwide don't do one).
Nabster_88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Smart is a savings account, so they auto change that to a cashbuilder unless you apply forma flex acc. Leave the cashbuilder if you want to keep a savings acc. And open another student account at another bank/building soc.

You can change your bank details for the slc anytime i think on their website. I don't think anything gets paid until the start of term anyway.
snu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Uh, the cashbuilder account is terrible. If you want a savings account, even if you want to stay with Nationwide you should get an eSavings account.
Talya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It might be worth going elsewhere... I know of established nationwide customers who - when they turned 18 - weren't offered a debit card - it's a lottery. Make your app for the flexaccount, OP, but if they don't give you a debit card, open up a student account with another bank.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (364)
46.08%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (243)
30.76%
I don't have an opinion (183)
23.16%

Watched Threads