Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people here are trying to sink some good internship roles but where do you guys want to be in 10 years? I.E what qualifications do you want to have under your belt for your chosen job role , what level do you want to be at, what bunce etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rob (I assume that's your name )

I'm slightly weird in that sense. Definition of success is lost on my - doesn't mean anything in my eyes. I love economics and I am about to begin my degree at Bath.

I've worked with an independent financial adviser for 18 months (Gap year - admin job) and it's very satisfying. Some of my friends are doing their internships at JPMorgan etc but I'm not even curious as to what it's like. I ask "why do it" and I hear about success and prestige and money but again I have to ask "why do it".

This is how I figured that I don't care about being successful but I care an awfull lot about being good at what I do (at any level). Which is great really because I doubt that I will have enough time to become successful - I am hoping to go back to Russia, settle down young and look after my family (while working - but not in a job that demands a lot - and "prestigious" roles do).

So to end this little speech () in ten years time I want to be a good wife and a mother of two, and in 20 years with my children growing up I hope to do something creative - perhaps own courses relating to the philosophy of economics or something similar.

Don't know if it helps at all (you didn't tell us why you want to know?) but just to say that life is what you make of it - an economics degree can be just a step to other better things in life, or it can be a beginning of a multi-billionaire success story. Same with other degrees. Just make sure you know what your priorities are and your reasons for studying and getting internships!

That's all from me (before you start yawning :p:)

ReputationRep:
    In Africa

ReputationRep:
    ACA..working for a big 4/blue chip company and moving abroad where I would get the same salary but the cost of living would be much lower

ReputationRep:
    Where do I want to be?
    Short answer: PE @ BX

Long answer: Private equity or hedge fund, preferably the former. BX, KKR, Carlyle are the obvious dreams but there are likely many, many other amazing opportunities out there that I'm not even aware of.

My unscientifically proven method (i.e. pulling numbers out of my ***) of determining the future puts my chances at 1.69% with a 0.4% margin of error.

ReputationRep:
    i guess u go to lse or oxbridge bruv?

ReputationRep:
    haven't got a clue - a job that i enjoy, job that pays reasonably well.

ReputationRep:
    Never mind 10 years. The world's going to end December 2012.

So let me justify the question for you:

'Where would you be in 4 years time?'

Add more years and the answer would be: 'Deceased.'

By that time I'd have a BA from Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    i guess u go to lse or oxbridge bruv?
    Nope, Cornell. I will be studying abroad at LSE in the upcoming year, during which I will go as far as pledging my soul to the devil to transfer there. Not that LSE really offer better chances than Cornell, but I figure that a school recognizable solely by its abbreviation >>> fake ivy.

(Original post by Ramadulla)
    Never mind 10 years. The world's going to end December 2012.

So let me justify the question for you:

'Where would you be in 4 years time?'

Add more and the answer would be: 'Deceased.'
    Did you get your source from the Aztecs? I've read about it and I doubt the world will end in December 2012. Otherwise London 2012 will be useless (if they ever get it done in time :rolleyes:).

ReputationRep:
    cornell is just as good if not better for banking

ReputationRep:
    University Lecturer; preferably somewhere nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Did you get your source from the Aztecs? I've read about it and I doubt the world will end in December 2012. Otherwise London 2012 will be useless (if they ever get it done in time :rolleyes:).
    Yes. The Mayan calendar is the most precise calendar to date.

ReputationRep:
    In the US working (programming) for Microsoft

ReputationRep:
    10 years time! i will be 27! scary stuff that!

married, nice job tha i like, have a bentley?!

ReputationRep:
    I want to have topped up my HND to a BSC(Hons) Software Dev... aim to do that by Summer 2010, I then want to spend a year teaching in Japan, say it takes me two applications or i need a year to save up that puts us at humm, 2012, I then want to take a PGCE primary possibly with a TESOL and do some teaching in the UK(or elsewhere in the world!) for a couple years so thats like 2015
    3years after that takes us to the 10year thing, and I guess depending how things go i either want
    a) To have moved to Japan for a couple years to teach English or Run an online import shop with side tutoring or something
    b)To have found a job in the UK i really like , be it primary teaching, something using my Computing Degree, my own business..anything but a stuffy office job.
    c)Take a yet another new direction and work to earn money then study something totally different!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    cornell is just as good if not better for banking
    Oh I know that very well. After all I did spam email a huge portion of the alumni database. I can't stand it for many, many other reasons (e.g. it treats undergraduate students on a level somewhere between cafeteria leftovers and the campus squirrels). But seriously my list of grievances can probably be published as a novel. In multiple volumes.

ReputationRep:
    well you should consider yourself lucky you have a bright future. on the other hand people like me...

ReputationRep:
    10 years... After our to-day quarelling with Mum, I dream about living far from my parents' home, having a favourite job and probably my own family...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.