YellowLotus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it good? is it bad?
Does it happen in the workplace? Should it be allowed when recruiting in the workplace?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by YellowLotus)
Is it good? is it bad?
Does it happen in the workplace? Should it be allowed when recruiting in the workplace?
We dont have it in the UK.
Not helpful to select someone based on skin colour and nothing else.
We have postive action for a few situations, but that is where it is relevant and the person needs to meet ability criteria as well.
username5323908
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it good? is it bad?
No it's bad. It's like bloody participation awards just for showing up.
Hire the most qualified.
There's a company in Canada I think that doesn't hire white people to give others chances, this promotes a victim mentality and is overall just wrong.
monkeyman0121
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you mean like a quota dependant on factors like gender, race, etc. No, it's a stupid way of doing things. People should employ those who are passionate, hard working and good at the job. Let's say there was a mediocre applicant that was female, and a really good applicant that is male. They should employ the male, not because of gender but because of their work compared to the other applicant. (and vice versa.) Knowingly giving people who aren't interested or are not as good as others the job because of quota is sabotaging your business in terms of betterment.
YellowLotus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
We dont have it in the UK.
Not helpful to select someone based on skin colour and nothing else.
We have postive action for a few situations, but that is where it is relevant and the person needs to meet ability criteria as well.
How can you distinguish between positive action and positive discrimination?
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
How can you distinguish between positive action and positive discrimination?
Because one is promotion on quotas and skin colour and the other is restricted to ability and specific circumstances where its justified. Look it up.
Gent2324
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
positive discrimination happens everywhere, giving up your seat on the bus for a pregnant lady is discrimination
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by georgeparasol12)
Hire the most qualified.
There's a company in Canada I think that doesn't hire white people to give others chances, this promotes a victim mentality and is overall just wrong.
What company is that? why should we believe you? sounds highly unlikely and you have given no sources but you got 2 likes! how?
Last edited by mgi; 1 month ago
username5323908
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mgi)
What company is that? why should we believe you? sounds highly unlikely and you have given no sources but you got 2 likes! how?
It's one of those YouTube companies like Vice or Jubilee, sorry I didn't mention it by name, I didn't want to get it wrong. I read it in an article about a year ago.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's one of those YouTube companies like Vice or Jubilee, sorry I didn't mention it by name, I didn't want to get it wrong. I read it in an article about a year ago.
If you are making such a serious point about discrimination you really should provide specific sourced material for what you claim. I think that your claim that a company refuses to hire white people was made up by yourself and hence you cannot find the specific name of the company. I would suggest that other posters should not believe you until you provide the name of the company.
Positive discrimination does not mean discrimination against white people either.
Last edited by mgi; 1 month ago
username5323908
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mgi)
If you are making such a serious point about discrimination you really should provide specific sourced material for what you claim. I think that your claim that a company refuses to hire white people was made up by yourself and hence you cannot find the specific name of the company. I would suggest that other posters should not believe you until you provide the name of the company.
Positive discrimination does not mean discrimination against white people either.
What. I read an article about a year ago and wanted to mention that. And yes positive discrimination can mean discrimination against white people.

These aren't the exact ones I mentioned but are the same idea.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...rsity-lawsuit/
https://www.businessinsider.com/goog...ian-men-2018-3
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/67...job-internship
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What. I read an article about a year ago and wanted to mention that. And yes positive discrimination can mean discrimination against white people.

These aren't the exact ones I mentioned but are the same idea.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...rsity-lawsuit/
https://www.businessinsider.com/goog...ian-men-2018-3
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/67...job-internship
Not in the examples you gave! The first two are just non legally tried rumours. And the last example is whereby BAME are simply not employed in that area at all. That is the true racial discrimination. Not failing to continue to employ white people who are already reserving all the jobs for themselves! Do you see what i mean?
username5323908
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mgi)
Not in the examples you gave! The first two are just non legally tried rumours. And the last example is whereby BAME are simply not employed in that area at all. That is the true racial discrimination. Not failing to continue to employ white people who are already reserving all the jobs for themselves! Do you see what i mean?
I get what you mean. I was just talking about an article I saw about a year ago, I didn't really mean too much by it.
Otherdjrj
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hire the most qualified.
Woah I worked hard to lose 6 tennis matches in a row and now your telling me I don’t deserve my medal?

Not cool dude. Not cool
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (191)
38.74%
Take autumn exams (151)
30.63%
Look for a job (17)
3.45%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.26%
Take a year out (85)
17.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed