How should the law deal with gender deception in sexual offences?

Watch
m-k1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I feel like the current law doesn’t take a victim centred approach, but we must also consider that people are transgender and the law fails to protect them.

Whats everyones opinions on this difficult question?
Advertisement
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you explain why you feel the law isn’t victim centred? Which cases do you think have been badly served by the current system?
m-k1
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Can you explain why you feel the law isn’t victim centred? Which cases do you think have been badly served by the current system?
I feel like R v EB had a bad outcome..because we can reasonably assume that the victim would not have consented if she was aware of the defendants HIV status. But then again I understand that non-disclosure should not vitiate consent

I feel like the McNally case is really problematic. The idea of ‘common sense’ values doesn’t take a victim centred approach because common sense is subjective. People have different values of what factors would vitiate consent
Advertisement
iDeano
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by m-k1)
I feel like the current law doesn’t take a victim centred approach, but we must also consider that people are transgender and the law fails to protect them.

Whats everyones opinions on this difficult question?

Gender deception is wrong.
m-k1
Rep:
?
(Original post by iDeano)
Gender deception is wrong.
What makes you think that?
Advertisement
iDeano
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by m-k1)
What makes you think that?
If I have intercourse with a woman, I should feel confident that they are a woman.

What part of gender deception isn't wrong? If somebody is so confident of the gender they wish to be, then they should disclose their history to the other party.
m-k1
Rep:
?
(Original post by iDeano)
If I have intercourse with a woman, I should feel confident that they are a woman.

What part of gender deception isn't wrong? If somebody is so confident of the gender they wish to be, then they should disclose their history to the other party.
Ah ok, from a legal sense the laws reasoning for criminalising gender deception is problematic because non-disclosure cannot lead to prosecution
Advertisement
iDeano
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by m-k1)
Ah ok, from a legal sense the laws reasoning for criminalising gender deception is problematic because non-disclosure cannot lead to prosecution

It should. I hope that changes.

It's morally SO wrong
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (208)
38.95%
Take autumn exams (161)
30.15%
Look for a job (19)
3.56%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.12%
Take a year out (92)
17.23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
5.99%

Watched Threads